IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone besides me tried this? I started using it a couple of years on the coastal streams for chinook in low water, it works. I usually use two crystal colored beads and peach yarn or any other combo that looks fishy. Give the yarn a good dousing of shrimp or squid oil. It worked again today on the N. Santiam, with a bunch of finicky springers. We tried lures, corkies and bait, the bead trick was the only thing that took fish. Let me know if anyone else has monkeyed aroung with this idea and if it worked.

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
Hmm. Sounds interesting. I'm going to have to give it a try.

happybrew

·
Premium Member
14,488 Posts
i've been tying jigs using glass beads in place of brass or nickel plated beads. they look great but i haven't caught anything with 'em yet. part of the problem with this application is that i don't have enough density to properly weight the jig. i picked up some lead wire to add some weight but haven't tied any up yet.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Several years ago I watched a fishing show up in Canada where they were using glass beads and nothing more for summer runs. And it was working too or at least it was for the camera. I gave it try but I stop as I did't feel the system floated well and sank to close to the bottom. Maybe I should of added more beads!

·
Registered
264 Posts
Sounds interesting. I have couple questions. What do the beads do? Add weight to the scented yarn? Add sparkle to the bait? Would just a gob of scented yarn do the same thing is slow water? How fast is the water where you are using this rig? Sounds alot smaller than a gob of eggs and/or shrimp. Why do you think it is so effective? :whazzup:

·
Banned
8,867 Posts
I purchased a bag of multiple mix colored faceted glass beads and have used them along with red round and glow round beads and have been effective with steelies but have been looking for other ways to use them. Thanks for the heads up! The faceted beads I have been using seem to work best during first half hr of sun on the water! I will post with an edit shortly with some pics after uploading. :cheers:

These were rigged with 8lb test and a #2 Gami

[ 06-11-2003, 09:34 PM: Message edited by: Fshklr ]

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I've also heard of using glass beads for summer runs, but I think they are better for lining than for drift fishing. I would be interested in trying them under a bobber, how large of beads seem to work best, and what color. thanx

·
Registered
400 Posts
Thanks fshklr those are great pictures. I have a bag of beads just like that in the garage.

·
Registered
186 Posts
William,
i have also used the glass beads for the last couple of years under a bobber. I have used them mainly for silvers and steelhead but have caught a few kings on them too. The reason i use a glass bead under a float is beacuse they don't float. There are lots of occasions in which i want a little more color but, can't use a corky so i use the beads. They are very effective. I've mainly stayed with the green and red colors but have a bag (somewhere in my garage, now i have to find them) of beads that i got at the local craft store that has quite the assortment of colors. Anyway, good tip to share. Always be willing to try new things, sometimes it leads to a nice surprise!
chumsalmon :wink:

·
Registered
370 Posts
I'm a bead/yarn using drift fishing fool. Mostly a size 4 hook and a 5 mm red or green plastic faceted bead with different yarn combos.

·
Registered
3,803 Posts
The best snagger on the Lewis Meathole uses a long eagle claw rod and a double hook rig with rock-grey marble size glass bead(s) between the hooks, 10ft leader. In the words from the movie Signs, "Swing Away". :mad:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts