IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to buy a bobber rod for my salmon float fishing. the 8'6 lami isn't cutting it.

where can I find a good pole for a baitcasting reel? I'm thinking a 10'6 and I'm not looking to break the bank (loomis, lami) :shrug:

any ideas, good buys or where to go?

I would appreciate some tips. thanks :cheers:

·
Registered
10,861 Posts
Shimano Convergence.. 64.99 at joe's 10'6 12-20 lb line class.. A good rod for bobber fishing, I never heard a complaint about the 20 or so I sold.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Tillamook Sporting Goods have 8to17 9'6" rods & 10to20 11' rods. They claim these rods are made of the same blanks and componets used in the Lamiglass rods. I was down there two weeks ago and didn't buy one. I went back down yesterday to buy the 11ft rod and get some shrimp. It looks the same as the Lamiglass and feels almost the same. The writing on the rod says it's an IM7 Graphite with Fuji Guides. I haven't fished it yet but it feels real good. Either size cost the same money $80.00 bucks. They also have alot of other rods. Lamiglass, Loomis and others but, if you don't want to spend alot of money these might be worth a look. If I like it enough I plan to go back when I need more Shrimp and pick up the 8to17 9'6" rod. I'll let you know how it fishes tomorrow.
SPACE

·
Registered
214 Posts
I purchased a 10' Shimano Convergence last fall for steelhead float fishing and it works great. 8-17 lb. rating, with enough backbone that I'm planning to chase springers with it after upgrading to 15 lb. line. The rod's made with real nice components, in fact when I bought it, the salesman told me that Shimano owns G.Loomis and that should give you a clue about where the blank came from. They also make a 10'6" model. After I got it, I noticed that the guides are a little larger in diameter than your typical drift rod which allows your stopper knot to pass more easily through the guides when casting, adding more distance to your casts. For the money, it's hard to beat in my opinion.

·
Registered
62 Posts
my son inlaw got one of those rods from tillamook sporting goods. 15-50# 9' there are guranteed for life. he broke it three weeks after he bought it. they replaced it. he said they never even asked him what happend.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
right on! awesome info, thanks alot guys. :bowdown:

spacefish, let me know what you think of the 11' bro.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Cabelas has a couple of ten footers that do a good job for me. I use the light one for steelhead and the heavy one for salmon. Check them out. The XML are available in the new Salmon catalog. Buy two, get one free!!!

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
The shimano convergence is awesome! Bought one about 6 weeks ago for a bobber rod and since have had about 20 fish on it! Very sensative and great for playing the fish. And its true shimano does own G-loomis. Also if you shop around Walmart has the same pole as GI Joes for 54$ aprx

1 - 8 of 8 Posts