IFish.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever fish with tuna balls under a bobber? If so, how do you make them and rig them up? I heard of someone using them last year in tidewater and catching fish. I'm egg poor and need an alternative bait. :whazzup:

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
i've never used them, but i heard that they wrap them in cheese cloth or women's nylons and put them on like you put your eggs on your hook. they do that alot on the deschutes and catch ALOT of springers. i was on the bank last year during the springer run and watched 15 fish hooked in about an hour and a half using everything from tuna balls to eggs. good luck.

·
Registered
717 Posts
I use a lot of tuna balls for bobber fishing and they seem to produce a lot of fish. I usually use tuna in a can from any store. I buy the cheapest stuff possible as long as it is stored in oil not water. The oil is key. Anyways, I usually use a mesh type of fabric that they use to make egg sacks. Make about a nickel size bait and close the sack with stretchy string. They work well with a little glob of eggs attached to it as well. One thing that I have found to help out a lot is if you put the tuna ball on to the hook and then run it up the line a little bit. Then put a glob of eggs through the bait loop and slide the tuna ball back down onto the top of the glob of eggs. It works very well. HOpe this helps.
TB

3,877 Posts
I think TB above hit the nail on the head.

Many bobber fisherman are cringing out there because this is definately an advantage on those given days.

Some days they just need something different when they have had allot of bait thrown at them.

Tuna bellies if you can get them are a go to in my arsenal when bobber fishing.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
tillamook born..... thanks for the info :cheers: could someone tell me how much weight I need at shears falls? is it rigged with a three way swivel? how big a hook? what size line? and leader? thanks.

[ 09-16-2003, 11:57 AM: Message edited by: dampainter ]

·
Registered
218 Posts
You can also use tuna as a scent.

Buy some tuna that is packed in oil, ( I always use Chicken of the Sea), and liquify in your blender. You may need to add some canola oil for consistency.

Then put some vaseline in a pot and melt. dont boil it, just heat it enuf to melt. Pour in your liquified tuna.

Finally, add any extra goodies that you like. I wont tell my secrets but one of them smells like licorice and another can be eaten as a "cocktail" :wink: In any case be sure to use only very small amts of your extras so as not to overpower your tuna. I use about one drop to an ounce.

Finally, let the mixture cool and you have a wonderful homemade sticky-scent

·
Registered
455 Posts
I never would have believed it, but that seems to be the bait of choise for the summer runs on the Salmon River.

They can also be fished behind a corkie. Just make sure to throw in a dozen or so of the little neon colored floats into the sac before putting it on the hook.

As a matter of fact, this one came from the South fork of the Salmon on a green corkie trailed by a tuna ball.

·
Registered
803 Posts
I saw in STS last issue. If your egg pour make spawn sacks with jarred fish eggs from the store. Sound like a good idea. I'll try it next time I'm out.
Fire :cheers:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts