IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a friend that I know who lives in Mazatlan {Mexico] send me some small squid, they use them down there and on the Baja. now get this, they soak them over night in Tuna fish oil!, thats right Tuna fish oil. just open a can of starkist or bumblebee tuna (must be packed in oil) and pour the oil over the squid let the squid soak over night. I understand they use something simular up in pugent sound, I dont think they use the oil, but i do know they can catch black mouth on squid. I was on th North Santiam this morning never fished the river before third cast at Santiam state park got a 8 pd hen..two fellas that were there came over and saw what i was using said it was the ugliest setup they ever seen. i was using a bobber and squid went on up to fishermens bend or whatever you call that nice campground. first cast i had something on for approx 15 min it didnt break water just stayed down and tugged like heck. i was using 8lb test with 6 lb leader i am pretty sure it was a chinook because i think he sawed my light leader line off. i lost him big time. had another hit at the end of a tial out. and that was it. I was checked by a state cop drifting the river on a pontoon boat. said I was the only one in a 5 mile stretch of the river that had anything. well maby the bobber and squid works. ill be trying it out sunday eve. on the Clack.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
I like your creativity. I have tried adding tuna oil to eggs but never tried the squid thing. Keep experimenting and you never know what you stumble upon. Reminds me of a time when no one was using tube jigs for crappies and i was the only one. Well you can guess, i was to only one catching fish after fish that weekend. :cheers:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts