IFish.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This will be my first year fishing for summers with a bob/jig setup. I have a few questions for those more experienced than I (which would be most everyone :grin: ).

What are your favorite jig colors few summes ?

How do you keep that darn line out of the water and straight to your bobber ?

Any other helpful hints would be very much appreciated.

:cheers:

JK

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Well, I like Black and red jigs on the kalama... for summers. There is only a couple rivers I fish for summers anyway! I use Fireline, and it floats well making it easier to mend etc.. but the floating line is key, because you cant always keep your line going directley to your bobber. Sometimes you have to let it float on the water to get that "natural" presentation! The longer rod helps, but I have caught more fish on my 8.6 than my 9.6! Email me and I will hook you up with my "Kalama Killer" black bucktail jig!
Matt

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
I would get in touch with Mark at First Cast Jigs . He know's his jigs very well. I've yet to catch or even hook one on a jig, but haven't really given it a chance yet either.

Good Luck!

As far as colors go, I've seen summers caught on the Lewis with red, black n red, and black. I've heard the purples and pinks do well too.

Steve :cheers:

·
Registered
3,279 Posts
Artwo

For summer steelhead go smaller and use darker patterns in combinations of black, purple, red or even tan and olive. With the higher water temperatures, swimmers, rafters, dogs etc... usually your best chances are first light. I use the term usually loosely because my last fish was caught at high noon in full sun. I spotted the fish tucked in the riffles and he took my red jig on the first cast.

If you're using mono for line, coat it with mucilin as this helps the line float. Six or 8# test will work fine for summers.

If you find yourself on top of a bunch of fish and they won't take your typical jigs, then try something completely different like this Skunk jig or a crawdad jig

Have fun fishing

Mark

·
Premium Member
14,294 Posts
there are two camps when it comes to jig fishing: the 45 camp and the downstreamers. the 45 camp casts upstream at a 45 degree angle and reels in when it drifts down to a 45 degree angle. for these folks power pro, fireline and the like works well. the downstreamers will cast directly out or slightly downstream and allow their rig to float down in the current to whatever distance they feel is appropriate. for this application, greased mono works better.

power pro and the like float, but just barely. the slightest current sucks them under and will rob you of hooksetting power and they don't mend well downstream. greasing power pro works great for about two casts and then seems to diminish rapidly. greased mono floats really well but the higher diameter and density of it make it difficult to mend in an upstream position. greased mono seems to hold up for many more casts than greased power pro.

i prefer wax over mucilin on mono. mucilin melts at moderate temperature so in the heat of summer it's pretty much just a liquid and will end up everywhere except where you really want it to be. the best wax i've found for applying to mono is the tea light candles that come in the little aluminum tin. they work even better if they've been melted through and allowed to cool (takes care of the chalky stuff and makes them handle and apply better). one thing i've been wanting to try is the parafin wax that is used in the wax baths. it's a softer parafin and should in theory apply more easily than candle wax and with better coverage.

sorry, can't help you out on jig selection. i've spent all summer working on the drifter and haven't had any time to fish.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I agree with Mark on the color scheme. I have caught summers on almost every colored jig out there.....think BEYOND pink-and-white!

Just remember that you want a muted size and color at this time of the year with all the low water flows....DONT worry, they WILL see it!

Half Canuck

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
I just picked up some of Marks jigs at FM today, I'm going out to give them a try to night :grin:

·
Registered
16,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the advice you guys, I'll take it all with me on my next adventure.

Mark,
I went and looked at your web site and really like the looks of your jigs. I was going to order some but now that I know you can get them at FM I'l pick some of the ones you suggested tomorrow.

Thanks all,
JK

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Just a couple more hints that I like to use. Try the smallest balsa bobber that will float your jig, sometimes these spooky summers just barely sip the jig in and the slightest bobber movement out of the norm is a fish. Also I would recomend a long and limber rod, I use a 10'6" light model with 8# mainline and 4-6# leader. Red and white and black are killers. Good luck.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts