IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, whether you like it or not, the next deadline for the Boater's Education Cards is fast approaching. On January 1, anyone under 40 will have to have a card to operate a boat in Oregon. I know many have put this off, didn't take care of mine until June of this year.

Click here for more information:
Boater's Education

Personally, I think it's a joke, but I suspect that there are some people that actually benefit from it...I took the Boat US course online myself.

TR

·
Registered
846 Posts
Not yet, but it's coming to Washington too. This winter just sign up for a boating safely course through the local CGAUX. flotilla or a Power Squadron unit. They'll advertise their classes. Then once you have the certificate from them, you can forward it to the state marine board. I have heard good and bad things about the liscenses, but think that they may give a boater a little more knowledge about handling their boat, and safety issues. What the heck! It can't hurt! As a qualified Vessel Examiner in the CGAUX., I can't believe the numbers of boat owners and operators that casually come here to fish the ocean and buoy 10 with no knowledge of the safety equipment required for their vessels and further lack of knowledge for the waters that they are about to put their boats and lives in.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts