IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had some trailer malfunction on the way home from crabbing this weekend. After hitting a speed bump at slow speed, the Ziemans trailer beneath my Whaler Montauk made an oddly loud thump. I pulled over and had a look and noticed the right side trailer tire was rubbing against the fender and that side of the trailer was riding low. Upon further inspection, I could see that the three inch arm between the rear of the leaf spring and the trailer beam had pivoted flat (in other words, parallel to the trailer frame) and was stuck in that position. I jacked the trailer up and, once enough weight was off the tire, the spring popped back into place and stayed there. I hopped up and down on the fender a few time to see if it would collapse again and it did not. I drove home carefully despite not having much confidence in the trailer. A few blocks from home, the same thing happened. I'm not sure what is wrong with leaf spring system, maybe the springs are worn out? I'd love some ideas of how to fix it or a good shop to take it to (in the Portland area). I've attached a couple pictures of the suspension in the area of concern. The pictures are the way it sits right now, which seems fine, not the "pancaked" position where the tire rubs.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the help and suggestions. Just knowing the part is called a shackle helped me find lots of information on the web. I pulled the shackle and found the bushings are very worn and need replacement. Flipping the axle seems like a good idea, too, because I don't think it's great that my wheel can hit the fender if the spring bottoms out. I'm heading to Six Roblees this morning to get some new bushings.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I purchased and installed new shackle bushings but broke one of the U bolts trying to remove a rusty nut. I plan to install new U bolts when the parts arrive and then swing by a repair shop to get an expert opinion. It does seem like the leaf springs might be tired, but I'm not sure. I'll post the doctor's diagnosis.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts