IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About nine months ago I had all new bearings and seals installed on my boat trailer. Well I took the thing back to where the work was done and the tech tells me he had to replace all the bearings because of water damage. The first go areound the Tech suggested I have the bearings repacked once a year. Where the Seals installed incoorectly or damaged while being installed? I don't know. The Tech also said the seals where not blown out but couldn't tell me what went wrong. Do you guys have any suggestions. The trailer is not towed more than 60 miles round trip at the most but 14 miles is the norm. I just don't get it.

suckerfish

·
Registered
232 Posts
I have a driftboat trailer that has had the same bearings in it for over 15 years. I have bearing buddies on the wheels. I grease the bearings with good quality waterproof grease every two or three times the trailor is backed into the water. I regrease every time the trailor is backed into saltwater. Don't overdo it on the grease. Watch the cylinder that moves out when you grease. Too much grease and you blow past the seals on the back side.

Good luck Suckerfish.

Randy

G

·
Bearing Buddies

When you are traveling the bearings and hub heats up. When you submerge the warm hub it contracts causing water into be sucked into the bearings.
I use Hydrotec grease and put a couple pumps of greese into the Bearing Buddies before launching (most of the time).

I haven't had to change a bearing because of corrosion since I got the Bearing Buddies, over 25 years ago. It is still a good idea to clean, inspect and re-grease your bearing annually.

You can do this yourself in about 1 hour per axel.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts