IFish Fishing Forum banner
61 - 80 of 102 Posts

· Registered
109 Posts
Don’t need much power on the bow mount motor. Lock the kicker straight and use the bow mount to steer. I have a Motorguide, and set it to just go straight and when I want to turn, use the remote. Unless there is a lot of wind blowing, run the Motorguide fairly low speed.
Does your motorguide hold gps we'll? Any trouble dropping routes?

· Registered
3,880 Posts
It did until next to last trip. I slammed an obstruction and split the shaft. Replaced shaft and seems as if I also broke GPS. Up till then, gps kept me straight. I run a Garmin and do not program routes. Just adjust routes by the remote.

· Registered
109 Posts
I’ve got both older cannon manual downriggers set up, new Humminbird Helix 7 G3N installed. I’ll take it out to LBC tomorrow to see what fine tuning I need to do on the transducer. I never get it right the first time, so I’ll be bringing tools. If anyone sees a guy at the dock in the water behind his boat, it’s not outboard problems. Haha
How do you like your MK + Helix combo setup? Do you use the "follow contour" feature much? Have you experienced problems with the GPS lock letting go? Any Humminbird regrets?
Thanks

· Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
Puppy dog medical bills have postponed the Minkota purchase. One more surgery to go then I can get back on track.

But, so far I love the Humminbird. Might go out tomorrow if it’s not icy like it was this morning.

· Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
Has anyone used a MinnKota bow mount on a Hewes Searunner 20’ and what length shaft?

Next trip out I’ll measure it, 80lb thrust minimum, ipilot w/link is what I know so far. Just need the length to start price shopping and a snow storm is heading my way. Gonna be a bit before I can get to the ramp.

· Registered
943 Posts
Has anyone used a MinnKota bow mount on a Hewes Searunner 20’ and what length shaft?

Next trip out I’ll measure it, 80lb thrust minimum, ipilot w/link is what I know so far. Just need the length to start price shopping and a snow storm is heading my way. Gonna be a bit before I can get to the ramp.
I’m happy with my 60” up front on my 18’ HC Sportsman. I use all the length in chop with the Uncle Norm strapped on there.

Based on that, I’d lean toward = or more shaft on a bigger boat. Question is just how will a 72” fit when stowed with your forward windshield-may be snug. 60” is all the room I have with a traditional mount.

· Registered
7,240 Posts
Puppy dog medical bills have postponed the Minkota purchase. One more surgery to go then I can get back on track.

But, so far I love the Humminbird. Might go out tomorrow if it’s not icy like it was this morning.
Tomorrow? You mean near the daam I'm guessing. Several weeks ago I went in on the river going out to Post and went to that area by the old resort. Nothing but river any where. Gonna take a boat to prineville to get an old motor checked out probably tomorrow and will go out to the dam and see what's going on. Not sure how to get to that Bear Creek from the dam other than a long walk but would like to get near it. Yhinking might be some water near there or under the dam.

· Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
I had to take it apart and remount it this morning. Guess I should have actually read the instructions. Haha

Ordered the second one yesterday. Now that those are out of the way, I can once again start saving for the Minkota.

61 - 80 of 102 Posts