IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to be given a boat that needs some TLC. I need to replace some of the old wood on the deck and in the cabin area, Electrical wiring, windows and a few other items. This is going to be a winter project. Any suggestions on where I can pick up supplies? do they make marine grade plywood? Any help you can give would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
14,389 Posts
yes, they make marine grade plywood. you will pay a lot of money for it. i can't recommend any suppliers but you can search the archives for plenty of info on that one.

take lots of pics to show us all when you get done, okay?

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info.

i plan to take many pics along the way. She is rough looking right now but I can see tons of potential. Dark wood in the cabin area, new glass, fresh paint. I am fortunite enough to have a step father with a paint booth and huge work shop. I have access to all the tools I need and someone experienced with welding and painting if needed. I am anxious to get started. My son is going to start helping out while he is here now and then ill tinker while he is back home. I really want to try and make this a father son project.

·
Registered
6,569 Posts
I've had a wood/glass boat for many years. Many repairs.

I'm here for ya!

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
S.S. - thanks for the info. I will run over there and check out prices on the plywood.

There will definitly be pictures.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Try Mr. Plywood in SE Portland. It's off of 82nd street. I cant remember the street name it's on, but I think it's up around the Burnside area. They have (or had)a good selection. They will tell you that the only difference between Marine and a quality exterior grade plywood is the absence of voids within the veneers on the marine grade. I believe they use the same glue. The absence of voids will eliminate weak spots in the hull (hulls curve) and transom. If the areas you will be rebuilding are above the waterline, exterior grade should probably be OK. Just don't be cheap. Buy good plywood. Paint it or seal it well. Of course, I'm sure somebody will disagree with this, but I have been down this road many times and that's my two cents worth.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the boat hule is fiberglass all around. The wood portion I will need to replace is the decking and the bench seats in the cabin area. I definitly wont go cheap. Id rather pay the high price now then redo this time and time again.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Baskett - Try Emerson Hardwoods for marine grade plywood. I believe they have several thicknesses available.

Emerson Hardwoods

Have fun with the project!!! They are a lot of work, but the rewards are sweet! :dance:

Steve :cheers:

·
Registered
873 Posts
You may want to try the folks at West-Marine. Don't think they can help you with marine grade plywood, but they may be able to tell you who can. They have just about everything else our check books can handle in the marine field.

Good luck, we will need a before and after picture of the completed project in the spring.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts