IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know - this seems like a greenhorn question, but one doesn't learn unless one asks. I'm looking to add a kicker to my boat. My main is an outboard - no built-in tank, just a standard 6 gal. When I add my kicker, what's the best way to configure the fuel source - second tank or splice into the line to my main motor. For give my ignorance, please. :shrug:

Thanks in advance for any advice.

ORS

[ 09-22-2003, 07:13 PM: Message edited by: OregonRedside ]

·
Premium Member
14,396 Posts
i'd recommend putting the kicker on a separate tank. part of the reason you have a kicker is in case your main fails and you need to move. if you have a problem it could be your tank or lines.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
It will depend on the kicker engine you get. If it requires oil mixture or the same fuel your engine uses now. Actually in either case two fuel tanks is a good way to go for safety reasons. Your not so likely to run out of gas in both tanks as you might do if you only had one tank. It's a toss up youy could go either way. My choice would be two tanks seperatly for safety.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Two lines of thought. One thought would be two fuel sources are better than one because if you have trouble with one you have a back up. The other is often times kickers can be mixed leaner to reduce smoke than bigger motors so if you are dealing with two strokes that is a benifit.

The other line of thought is space consideration. If you are tight on space adding another fuel tank/lines can take up needed space.

I personally would opt for a 3 gallon tank for the kicker and if space is a condsieration you could leave it out if you were somewhere you didn't need it.

BTW-If you set up your motors to receive the same fuel fitting you wouldn't splice the fuel line but simply unplug it from one motor and hook it into the other motor.

·
Registered
6,569 Posts
I have 2 tanks for the main and one for the kicker.

·
Registered
733 Posts
i hollowed out a built in seat/step on the port aft side of my boat and installed a 10 gallon tank. its plumbed to my kicker but i can also switch it to run my 125 outboard in a emergancy simply by turning a flow swtich. i found my kicker wouldnt draw gas from the main tank which is mounted in the floor under the drivers seat. so i didnt have a choice, but it worked out great and i rebuilt that seat with a removable lid so i can fill the tank. joco

·
Registered
428 Posts
If you have a fuel water seperator you can plumb both fuel lines to it and save space. I had a 17' NR and plumbing it this way saved me a lot of room, I also moved my fuel tanks forward and that helped level my boat making it handle and plane better.
Randy

·
Registered
5,808 Posts
Hi,

I have a 2 stroke main and a 4 stroke kicker. So I have a 9 gal main tank, a 3 gal kicker tank plus a spare 2 gallon tank that we fill with gas so can use it for either motor. Works fine alhough it does take up some space

EK

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
I have limited space in my boat so I am opting for using the onboard tank for running my four stroke kicker. I plan on plumbing in a 3/8" Tee fitting into the fuel line.

The only problem I see is that I have limited room in my engine compartment (inboard). Consequently, I will need to locate the pump ball on the fuel line just before the kicker (outside the engine compartment). I understand that on a normal tank connection, the ball should be near the tank, not the engine.

Will I be creating a problem with this fuel line setup?

·
Registered
530 Posts
That won't cause any problems in my experience. As long as the arrow on the squeeze bulb is pointing towards the motor it will work. The bulb for my kicker is 8 inches from the moter and I have never had any problems.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts