IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm going to be painting my drift boat with one part polyurethane paint. i've already bought the rollers to do it with but i've also got a wagner power painter i can use (2200 pro 2 speed wide shot). of the two, which do you think would give better results?

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Mask well, and the sprayer should work.

One question, how thick is the poly paint? If it's as thick or thicker than standard latex, you might want to roller it on.

I've used a Wagner before, on latex, and it helped to thin the paint a little. Just remember the old adage, spray lightly - three times. Keeps the runs from happening.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Ampersat,
Post some pics of your finished Project. I am intersted in customizing my Clackacraft, including fiberglass work and Paint.. I often wondered about painting over Fiberglass gel coats.

·
Registered
244 Posts
If this is like the automotive polyeurothane(? on spell) when you apply it with a normal paint gun (air compressor powered) you must were special breathing appratus, not just a dust mask or filter. This stuff is supposed to be deadly. Not trying to scare you but you might want to check with the store you purchased it from and read the label carefully. If applying by roller don't know if health hazard.

·
Premium Member
14,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i think it's the same nasty stuff and would require a respirator. roll on it is then. it'll probably go on almost as fast and cleanup will be a lot quicker anyway.

don't worry, when it's complete, i'll post the full story here with pics.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
I'd go with the roller and tip it with a nice bristle brusk to smooth. Never had much faith in the airless sprayers for anything but house paint. If you have access to a compressor, I've got a sprayer and respirator you could probably borrow if you decide to spray anyway.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts