IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 19' sled but only a two wheel drive truck to pull it. I have noticed that there was a new launch put in down river from the paved launch at pacific city a few years ago. My question is why is it used more than the paved launch other than the fact there are a lot of bankies. My biggest concern is that the paved launch is not being used because there is a hole or some other obstruction at low tide. does any one know of any problems with this launch. I use the paved launch because I don't trust my truck to pull the boat back out of a gravel launch.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
I think you hit the nail on the head. Most people use the gravel launch to avoid backing down into the combat zone at the paved ramp. I'm not aware of any problems there other than guys that won't move for you while backing down, or getting some lead tossed your direction if you're in the way!

·
Banned
37,111 Posts
I think the reason is that there is really no good channel between the two launches. You have to really hug the west bank to get through that section. If guys are headed for the jaws, the gravel launch lets them get there without negotiating that section.

How many guys do you see launch at the gravel launch and head upstream?

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
The "new" gravel ramp downstream of the paved ramp has been there for at least 45 years. I was using it in 1960.

The paved ramp does have a 6 or 8-inch deep hole in it that might give a two wheel-drive vehicle problems if you dropped your drive wheels, or a heavily loaded trailer, over the blacktop ledge. You can really bugger up a leg stepping into it unexpectedly, too. Ask my partner.

The hole is visible at low tide. If you hug the north side of the paved ramp when putting in or taking out, you should miss the hole - but that puts it in a prime location for that misstep.

I don't know why you would want to use either, :shrug: , everybody know there are no fish in the Nestucca.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts