IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The insurance company that insures my house and cars (Farmers) doesn't write boat insurance directly. They use other companies to write their boat policies. After they changed the boat insurance company, I got slammed with a really large premium increase. :depressed: I think it's time for a change. Can you recommend an insurance company that you're happy with so I can get a few quotes? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
I have mine insured with State Farm, they do my House, cars, Boat and a few other things. Been real happy with them. Rates seem fair.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I've heard that the West Marine insurance prices are very good -- but I was also warned that they go up pretty quickly. Sounds like they low-ball to get the business and then ratchet it up. Buyer beware -- but it may be a stop-gap for you.

·
Registered
709 Posts
I have been VERY pleased with BOAT US insurance! Their rates are extremely competitive, an unfortunate claim was handled correctly and professionally and it is also a chance to be a member of a great boating organization.
:grin: RIPPLE :grin:

·
Registered
3,803 Posts
I second Boat US - very professional and good faithed nature. Reasonable rates. Doc

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
State Farm is very reasonable with me, I also insure my house with them, have not had a rate increase in the two years of doing business with them.......now saying that I hope it stays that way!

Good fishing to all, and to all a good bite!
Scott

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Hmmm, I called my State Farm agent this morning about my boat, and they said they don't insure boats that're used in the ocean. So if it's a fresh water boat, it sounded like it would've been no problem.

Oh well.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
hmmmm, wonder why they told me that then... :shrug:

[ 06-17-2003, 05:19 PM: Message edited by: Sea Jypzee ]

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
California Casualty has treated me extemely well, for auto and boat. No other company can compete with their rates and they have exceptional costomer service.

The only catch you have to be an employee of some sort of public service or school teacher. Email me if anyone is interested!

[ 06-17-2003, 05:14 PM: Message edited by: ANDYCOHO ]

·
Registered
330 Posts
I'm covered with State Farm and I know for a fact that I am covered 75 Nuatical miles out. Not that I plan on going that far, but State Farm does cover the ocean. You might want to talk to an agent who knows what he/she is talking about.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Have state Farm Also. I'am friends with my agent and I called him to ask him about this and he said that there policie cover up to 75Nat.Miles out. Never been out in the ocean before but it sounds like you need to give your agent a call back or try another agent there are many of them.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I'm switching to Boat US this year. They are $200 less than Progressive and $350 less than State Farm (I have my house,and 3 cars insured with State Farm). Boat US seems to have better coverage than the others also.

love2fish

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
I have alstate.. I have never had a problem. I think it has a lot to do with the agent you have.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I am going thru Farmers for all my insurance needs. They are using Foremost to insure my boat. I just renewed mine this week and it only cost me $241.00 a year on a 19' inboard sled. If BoatUS can beat that by $200.00 it would almost be free. You may not have the best agent working for you. If you want I would pass on my agents name in an e-mail to see if he could get you a better deal.

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
I believe there's a big price difference depening on if your policy is full replacement or not. I'm with State Farm and pay around $170.00 a year but that's not for full replacement, my agent didn't offer full replcement when I signed up two years ago. Some of the other guys(can't think of the names right now) that advertise in some of the boating mags. claim full repacement and they will pay your deductible if your with them without a claim for a certain period of time. I'd be curious to hear from others what they pay/boat value new/company name and whether or not the polict is full replacement.

Smj

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
I've got State Farm, full replacement with a value of $48000 and I pay about $36 a month. I'm also covered out to 75 miles at sea. When I had my $22000 Weldcraft I think I paid $16 a month.

It's funny how this topic just came up - a friend of mine just called me yesterday and told me he tried to insure his 19 foot Maxxum with Farmers and they quoted him $600 a year - he was outraged. When he asked what the price would be with a $2500 deductible, they said, "you can't have a $2500 deductible on a $1500 boat" He said "I didn't say $1500 boat, I said $15000 boat." When they re-quoted based on $15000 instead of $1500 he said the rate went through the roof. I've already told him about State Farm but I'll let him know about BoatUS too.

[ 06-18-2003, 07:48 AM: Message edited by: Killertraylor ]

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
I have my Dory insured with State Farm ... costs a couple of hundred or less
a year for full coverage/replacement. HOWEVER, they *do* have limits on the size
of the boat they will cover. My dory was only insured for about $20k and they
didn't have a problem, but when I tried to insure Pacific Mistress (30' power
Catamaran) for the $170K that I had into her, they laughed at me. Told me I had
to go to yachet insurance and they didn't do that! :grin: :grin:

I've since been dealing with Mike Miller at Northern Marine Insurance, Inc.
He is a real nice guy and can cover any style/shape/price of boat as he
is an insurance brokarage house. Great service. Very pleased!! His phone
number and addy is:

Mike Miller
19630 - 76th AVE.
Lynnwood WA 98036-5843
1-800-553-3624

-assAssin-

[ 06-18-2003, 08:10 AM: Message edited by: fish assassin ]

·
Registered
6,208 Posts
I've got State Farm. Very affordable for full replacement and is covered 75 miles offshore. :shrug: Not sure what's wrong with the agent you called.

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
Jeez, I swear mine isn't full replacement! I'm callin' my agent as soon as I log off here. My boat was $18000.00 and change.

Smj

1 - 20 of 30 Posts