IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Premium Member
21,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this has been up before, but a search only showed me various agencies.

I need to get some boat insurance (exclusively; we're otherwise covered) and would like to get it from an established ifish agent if there is one.

Suggestions?

Thanks...

· Registered
2,987 Posts
I just insured my two boats yesterday, and my insurance agent told me that Progressive has the best coverage. My agent doesn't work with progressive so I figure that she must think highly of them to loose buisness in order to keep me happy:cheers:.
Or on second thought maby she has seen me run the boat:idea:

· Registered
1,199 Posts
Bill,

PM my brother Yellow North River, he uses a Progressive Agent that use to be on IFish (not sure if he still is). He probably won't get back to you till tomorrow he's out fishing for his birthday.

Steve/RR

· Registered
861 Posts
Bill-
Several different things should be considered for insurance (no I am not an agent).
Is it for an ocean boat? Some policies won't cover you in coastal waters, others only go out a certain distance.

Some cover you for towing by private parties (i.e. Seatow, etc.), some do not. That can get spendy.

If mooring the boat are you covered for environmental impacts? (read that oil/fuel spill). Had a relative have an old tug go down in the moorage...had to pay to clean every boat in the downstream moorage, plus the environmental clean up....that was diesel tho.

Some require a survey be done on the boat (usually an older boat) and can be spendy...(I would make them wiggle on the price of the policy if that is the case.)

I have Progressive although never made a claim with them, they were very helpful on the phone during the research phase...BoatUS got my attention too, comes with other benefits.

· "The Old Salt"
10,968 Posts
Progressive
They took me after State Farm cancelled my policy for having too many claims (3 in 8 years) for theft

I pay just under $80 a month with an agreed value of $ 17,000 for boat and accessories/gear

· Registered
1,006 Posts
My boat is under my home owners ck that out :yay:
My drift boat is under my home owners policy, but not the boat I take in the ocean. I would get a written declaration of exactly what your home owners policy covers. After reviewing mine I'm glad I never had a loss. I shouldn't have even taken it out of the driveway, let alone launched it.

· Registered
439 Posts
I have 32K in coverage. 300K in liability and $250 deductable with State Farm for $220 annually. Like others have said - I also have two auto's with full coverage, quad, trailer, and homeowners with them. Also not having a claim in nearly 20 years helps!

· Banned
175 Posts
Be extremely careful in understanding your coverages. Especially what will be covered and what will not. Extentions from the home owners policy is cheap and easy but in a claims situation you will be very disapointed. Progressive is good for salvage,enviromental inpact and replacement cost. Be sure to look into coverages for fishing equipment, electronics and towing. Nationwide offers packages for towing up to $2500.00 twice a year. Also fishing gear up to $10,000.

· Registered
5,074 Posts
I have mine (along with everything else) through State Farm, and can even vouch for their service :blush: which, unfortunately I had to use last year when it was my fault in an accident. It's so darn cheap I don't know how anyone else could be that much cheaper and the service any better.

Biederboat

· Registered
5,074 Posts
You can most often get your boat covered through your home owners or a package combined with auto/home.

Short of that I found Progessive to have the lowest rate and adequate coverage.
Caution though, often (at least each of two times I inquired about it through State Farm) this is only applicable to smaller boats and/or limited type of losses (e.g. parked at your house during a fire).

Biederboat

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.