IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a homebuilt driftboat i built myself and most large insurance companies (SAFECO) won't insure it unless it has a motor. anyone out there have any luck with their homebuilts? Boat Insurance Agency wants about $200/year but i think thats kind of steep for a boat & trailer worth around $3000 (my cost).
redneck

·
Registered
399 Posts
Redneck,small water craft- liability is part of Either a Renters Or Homeowner policy if they follow the basic I.S.O. policy model and most companies do. So, if you already have the H.O. or renters then your $200.00 is basicly for covering the hull which is done on most policies as actual cash value basis. Since you built the boat, you would probably end repairing it yourself not only because you know it best but also because most commercial shops are not going to want to have to guarantee their repair on a boat where the production method and materials are not always verifiable. So... the choice is yours but the liability piece if you do not have the H.O. or Renters would be worth it especially if you take guests and/or float a lot of white water. If you do insure it, take pictures of it for later proof should a claim arise. tight lines.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts