IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys

I have a little 12ft mirrocraft aluminum boat. It's got 3 bench seats. I'm wondering what would happen if I were to remove the middle bench entirely, or perhaps cut it in half to make a walk through. If I were to do this would I decrease the rigidity of the boat? Meaning...would the side walls collapse on me?

Has anyone tried this on a similiar boat?

Thanks for all info.

·
Registered
816 Posts
You can do this, BUT you must be very careful and strengthen the middle seats somehow. I have a 15 ft smokercraft. Cutting the middle seat will decrease the strenght and rigidity of the boat in the middle. i thought of doing the same thing. I asked the guys at stevens marine. It seemed way to hard and to much work. You can buy a new boat, like the way you describe it pretty cheap. If you are seriouse about it ask a dealer. They can tell you where to take the boat to get the work done. The new boats like the smokercrafts are generaly designed that way. It sure would make life easier with a walk through. good luck. if you want you can e-mail or pm me and i can describe it better. also if you want to fish sometime let me know. We seem to be from the same area.

Cartman

[ 10-22-2003, 04:50 PM: Message edited by: CARTMAN ]

·
Registered
10,558 Posts
I sure wouldn't. It'll definitely affect the rigidity of the boat. If the flotation is under the seat you affect that as well.

·
Registered
516 Posts
I had a 14' with three bench seats and did in fact cut out the middle seat. I didn't notice any major loss in rigidity. I ran the boat for several years at speeds of 20 mph and had no problems. With that said, every boat is different.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I had a 14' Mirro Craft that I removed the center bench and made it into a walk through. I removed the entire seat but left the brackets on both sides. I then added floor boards,made box seats with hinged lids,secured the boxes to the new flat floor and secured the top to the existing bench brackets. The boat had no loss of structual integrity was much easier to move about in and had additional storage. I'd do it again. Email if you want more info. Good Luck B.M.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the input guys.......I think I'll just live with the middle bench until I can afford a bigger boat with the options I want.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts