IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A co-worker went fishing on the Nehalem on Saturday, July 26. She doesn't know the story, except it caught fire at the launch, so the boaters pushed it out. Does anyone have any more details? Here's a picture she took.

·
Registered
740 Posts
They probably didn't turn on the blower before starting up. Gas fumes most likely blew up.Heard of a few of these incidents this summer.

·
Registered
3,976 Posts
This should be a public safety service announcement.

This boat used to belong to one of our own here at Ifish. In fact he had it for sale here on Ifish.

He sold the boat and the new owners put a lot of work into it prior to their first trip.

Hooker nailed it right on the head( forgot to turn blower on) . I will let the former owner add the rest of the story. He also has more pics.

·
Registered
22,375 Posts
Man that bites. The blower is a good practice. ACtually opening the engine compartment for a minute or two before launch is not a bad idea either. sure sorry for the loss. Pretty scary stuff.

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Actually- Electrical shorts are THE leading cause of boat fires. Way ahead of gas fumes. Check your main power wiring often for loose connection and corrosion!

·
Registered
540 Posts
I was there that morning and saw the unfortunate incident. It happened about 7:30-8 am just after tide change. The Coast Guard was keeping an eye on the boat while it drifted in the bay out in front of Brighton Marina. The two fishermen are ok, not sure if the boat burned to the water line or not.
What is that saying about the worst day fishing? :shrug: :hoboy:

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
I have never owned a boat so please excuse my ignorance....

Would pulling the plug help at all?

Aren't all boats supposed to have functioning fire extinguishers?

Since the boat can't be sunk because of its flotation foam(?), would flipping it have saved the boat at all?

·
Registered
293 Posts
Alright, here is the story....
As Small Fry said, this is (or was) the boat I was selling last year. My neighbor and a friend of his decided to go in together and purchase the boat from me on Tuesday. My neighbor was telling me about how I would not recognise the boat when they got done refinishing it,(they weren't kidding). They did a tune up, drained and filled the fuel tank, stained the teak wood, sanded and painted the outside, put in a new marine radio, borrowed a kicker motor, and did a few other things.
On Saturday they launched the boat and tied off to the dock. Just as my neighbors friend was putting the key in the ignition he said "Alex, make sure you turn on the blower". Alex said "it will be fine"..........
Within a second the boat was in flames. There was another boater that was docked there that tried to help with a fire extinguisher but obviously that didn't do much. The dock worker cut the line and pushed the boat out away from the dock to avoid further loss.
I talked to my neighbor yesterday and he figures there was about $4500 worth of stuff in the boat, counting the cameras, and lamiglass poles. I asked him if they insured it before they left, he said they had talked about it but never did because financially they hadn't really invested much into the boat!!!
It made me sick to see the pictures he brought me of Saturday's launch. I really hope this makes some people more aware of safety. That small step of turning on the blower for a minute could have possibly prevented this from happening, thank goodness nobody was hurt. I will post the pictures when I get them from him, and some of the boat before the fire as well.

The last quick note is a real kicker..... This poor guy can't even go home and tell his wife about the worst day fishing because she doesn't even know he bought the boat ! :hoboy:

BE SAFE OUT THERE.
Surejam

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
I feel sick......I dont use my blower nearly as often as I should, I will make a real habit of it now. Hopefully its just the boat and gear that was lost and not a good friendship.....major ouch. :depressed:

[ 07-31-2003, 01:24 PM: Message edited by: TundraIII ]

·
Registered
3,796 Posts
Real simple solution - if you own a sportjet, the box weighs very little. Just pull it up on the first start of the day at the launch. No blower needed. Easy to access with extinguisher if something lights off if the cover's already up. On water restarts can use the blower or a quick pick up and sniff will do.
If fumes, start with cover up. Doc

[ 07-31-2003, 01:32 PM: Message edited by: Dr Strangelove ]

·
Registered
7,949 Posts
Whenever I start the boat, whether it is the first start or a re-start it goes in this order:

1) Blower
2) Fuel pump
3) Check the gearshift and ensure neutral
4) Turn the key

EVERY time. I don't intend to be a statistic... nor do I intend to blow up the Pilar. I don't think I could ever recover from that.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Surejam could you hold on to the rest of the story whilr i roll up my wders and reel in my line and sinker as i have soft lips and cant afford to bite very hard.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Not telling the wife about the purchase of the boat??? Ouch! I don't envy the boat owner....

No insurance? Strike two.....

Not following safety procedures??? Strike Three. And the picture is worth at least a thousand words.....

I feel sorry for all the work they put into the boat, but if you don't have safety, you don't have a boat that'll float.... at least for long.

Another reason to buy outboards.....

[ 07-31-2003, 04:18 PM: Message edited by: timinthegorge ]

·
Registered
244 Posts
I am new to owning a boat and didn't think much about using the blower until about a month ago. I watched a show on TV (can't remember name of it) showing a 22ft cuddy cabin blow up at the dock. It had 3 people in it. In the video it looks like one of them are either jumping or blown overboard. Thete were just starting it up. NOT PRETTY. After that I've tried real hard to remember the blower. After seeing this pic also, I hope I get it "burned" into my brain to use that blower.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Fishonksm, I'm not quite sure what your reply was supposed to mean. If it was in doubt of the story, that's for *you* to decide. What's not to believe?
Like I said, I'll post the pictures they brought me once I have scanned them. They are supposed to take more later.
Surejam

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
place a sign next to the key switch for the starter....turn on blower 1st.... :grin:

very sad situation here..... :sick:

[ 07-31-2003, 05:42 PM: Message edited by: husker ]

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
When I was a teenager we had a Seaswirl ski boat. There as small sign engraved over the ignition that said "Run blower for 5 minutes before starting". I always thought it was kind of a hokey rule, but I ran it anyway. Now I know why.

·
Registered
365 Posts
"i have soft lips and cant afford to bite very hard"

???

Dude, what the hell are you thinkin? Uh, never mind, don't think I want to know.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts