IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Should you ground to the Batterys or the hull? I don't like the idea of grounding to the hull. I figure there is more of a chance of corrosion. But not real shure what the norm is. The last boat I wired, I ground everything to the batterys. This boat gas grounds all over the hull.

Thanks

suckerfish

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
If this is an aluminum hull and I assume it is, you do not want your hull grounded to the battery. You are best if you can keep all your electrical isolated from the hull and either run all your grounds back to the battery or get a power strip that is isolated from the hull and has positive and ground ran straight from the battery.

·
Scallywag
3,410 Posts
I have an aluminum hull and all electrical equipment is grounded back to the battery. Have good zincs on the motor and hull, keep them clean, and reduce electrical corrosion (electrolysis).

·
Registered
662 Posts
My preference is to ground everything to the battery, and avoid grounds to the hull. Boaters World and West Marine sell terminal strips that work great for avoiding messes. To avoid corrosion on your connections, use "liquid electrical tape" - it works really well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts