IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kgw.com is reporting a boat captsized of the mouth of the columbia. Has anybody herd the details of on this accident. Hope everybody is ok.

·
Registered
6,208 Posts
If you go down the page on that website there is a story. Here's what they are saying:

Compiled by kgw.com Staff

One person drowned when a pleasure boat capsized in the mouth of the Columbia River near Astoria Tuesday morning, according to the Coast Guard.

Two other people were rescued and transported to a local hospital for hypothermia. The Coast Guard said they were in the cold water for as long as 45 minutes before other boaters spotted them.

The Coast Guard sent crews on three boats and one helicopter to aid in the rescue. They quickly spotted debris floating in the water, along with several life jackets.

Investigators have not released names, but said the deceased is a 72-year-old man and the survivors are also men – one is 57 and the other is 71.

Witnesses said waves were up to eight feet high when the accident happened just before 8 a.m. near buoy #6.

None of the people on the capsized boat were wearing life jackets, according to the Coast Guard.
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
:depressed: :depressed: :depressed: That makes me sick to my stomach :sick: when I hear of boating fatalities. My thoughts go out to his family :depressed:

·
Flatlander
7,595 Posts
Tides looked right, but the swell report was 3ft waves on 9ft swell @ 9secs. That doesn't sound good at all, if indeed the seas were even close to the forecast?

sorry to hear it has happened again. :depressed:

gus

[ 08-26-2003, 11:57 AM: Message edited by: Gus Orviston ]

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
I was a boat boy/deck hand on a private 30' when I was a teenager. The owner would take his business clients out for a day of salmon fishing. I did this for a full summer back in the early 60's. Now this old boat captain/boat owner was a crusty old salt but knew his boat and his skills were unmatched. Even to this day I remember his instructions and it has helped me many times. We get a late start out of Ilwaco one clear blue sky morning. Just him and I, his business clients had too much to drink the night before and called us late to let us know they wouldn't be going this morning. Out we go. The captain looks at me and says" might be rough over the bar this morning. You had better hold on and stay next to me here at the wheel". No doubt I was glued to his side. Since that day I have never seen waves as big as that. Looking forward over bow, nothing but water higher than our boat. Looking back to stern nothing but waves higher there also. Sky was blue. Dishes, pots and pans flying, crashing to the floor in the galley. The grip I had on that handrail inside the cabin must have left marks in that mahogany. We made it through safe. But the galley was a total mess. My boss the captain said, "Shut the galley hatch boy, lets fish". He told me after a couple days that he made a big mistake that day and that was the roughest bar crossing he had in 30 plus years of boating. To this day I remember what I said, "ME TOO"! It is a bar that is dangerous and has taken many lives over the years and many more to come. To bad for those family memebers.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
I don't say this out of disrespect, and I know I don't always where my life jacket. probably about 80% of the time.

But it seems like a lot of older people are the ones that are tipping there boats and not making it due to life jackets not being worn..
d

·
Qualified Sturgeon Hugger
38,254 Posts
Lepper, it may just be that the population of mid-week fishers is made up of primarily retired folks. And that may explain why it seems that way. If 1% of the boats are likely to sink at any given point in time and retired folks make up 50-60% of the available boats to go down, they are more likely. This is strictly statistically speaking. And we all know how statistics can be. :whazzup:

·
Banned
8,921 Posts
I have a new boat, so I get to make a new rule for it: everybody in the boat wears a PFD - all the time.

It's my obligation to my passengers to keep them as safe as I can, and life jackets are a part of that equation.

But even at that, 45 minutes in that water would be torture! I am so sorry for those fishermen and their families. It is such a loss.

Skein

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
I've done the CR Bar 800 times and would not cross 9 foot in our 29 foot Tolly with twin 351. just too rough with the wind

·
Registered
176 Posts
My buddy SoftPLastic and I were fishing buoy 10 today and listened to this tradegy unfold on the VHF. Private boaters began to report a debris field near buoy 6 this morning while the tide was running out hard. Then a boat called into to the Coast Guard that a survivor was picked up and two more people were in the water. It was hard to hear what was going on after that because people kept calling in for a bar report.....over and over again. I think a helicopter picked up another person and the Coast Guard sent out boats and found the last. I couldn't believe people were going out in what the Coast Guard was reporting as 8-10 ft swells with occasional breakers....over and over again. OK...so my will to cross the CR bar is timid at best, but come on 8-10 ft with breakers? No way....not in a small boat. Fish are fun to catch, but not worth anyone's life. And the people who kept interupting the Coast Guard asking for a bar report really touched a nerve.....VHF has proper protocals that everyone agrees to by default when they operate their radio. If the Coast Guard asks you to leave a working channel.......then do it. Sorry for the rant. Please wear your PFD.

James

·
Registered
784 Posts
I really feel sad for the families and loved ones of the 3 victims. A very tragic event that perhaps could have been avoided. :shrug:

My point, call me a sissy if you will but I'm a fair-weather fisherman. I want to enjoy the trip and white-knuckle adventures are not in my game plan [had enough in various other life-time experiences].

Granted things can turn sour under what starts out as a pleasant situation, but either way I see no reason for not wearing PFD's. Age [and gender] has nothing to do with need for PFD's. And I don't buy off on the old adage "you can't teach an old dog new tricks." Hate to see a good old dog die prematurely. :wink:

We as a community [Ifish.net.USA] need to continue to police our own ranks to ensure that our folks convert to routine use of PFD's. In several posts over the past year we've discussed this on several occasions and often see where one Ifisher will compliment another for wearing their PFD as evidenced by a picture in a thread - THAT'S GOOD.
Earlier today I read a report with pics that showed 2 or the 3 successful fishermen wearing PFD's onboard as they displayed their catch. I think a complimentary comment to the two with PFD's and raspberries
to the third [w/o PFD] would be appropriate and hopefully encourage future use. We don't want to lose any of our "Ifish brothers and sisters".

Sadly, more such stories in the future if folks don't take notice and learn from others' mistakes.

Dean

[ 08-26-2003, 05:06 PM: Message edited by: Born to Fish ]

·
Registered
58 Posts
Burner,

Good post.

I've crossed that bar many times and have yet to call the C.G. for a bar report. What can a guy sitting behind a desk looking out a window at the bar from 3 or 4 miles away tell you? The conditions on that bar change hourly and unless someone is actually out there at that moment giving you a report, how accurate can it be?

My bar crossing strategy is to:
(1) Get the latest marine weather forecast
(2) Get the latest data from the nearest weather buoy
(3) Use the tide tables and cross at the appropriate times
(4) If all of the above come together then I go out and take a look for myself, paying close attention to the current and swell.

Oh, and 9' swells at 18 seconds... maybe on a good day, but 9' at 9 seconds, NO FREAKING WAY!!!

Nothing wrong with being timid about those kind of conditions. I call it smart.

·
Registered
318 Posts
My prayers go out to the families...

No fish is worth the price they paid.

What is weird is everytime I think about moving my boat to Illwaco something like this happens...

I better stop having those thoughts I guess.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Went over the bar on Sunday, Monday. Yesterday the bar was like a sheet of glass. The ocean was flat and it was a georgeous day, the fish were there too....did we wear our life jackets while crossing the bar, you bet we did. Woke up this morning and said to fellow Ifisher NORM. "Dont look like we'll be going over the bar this morning". Did I need an official weather report, no. It was ugly at the mouth and it was plain to see, cloudy with fog and progressively getting worse. If fact we didnt even bother with B10 at all (the fishing at B10 has sucked for the past 3 days anyway). We may find out later that the boat lost power or something. Maybe they didnt have a radio? Still in that situation a PFD would have been in order.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
The real sad part is that it will happen again. This year we made it to August 26th before it happenend, hopefully the rest of the season will be without incident. I wish people would try harder to educate themselves before going out. Having 3' and 9' is to much for most boats.

And not wearing life jackets :shrug:

[ 08-26-2003, 12:12 PM: Message edited by: finclipped ]

1 - 20 of 33 Posts