IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
John i would suggest that you employ a teenager to clean it. Dont know if its a metal boat or glass but they are pretty simple to clean. I use a very fine grit fibre glass rubbing compound to maintain my boat (metal) but i did the same with my glass boats. After cleaning i apply a good wax and iam good for the whole season. I spend a lot of hours in the salt and it still stays nice. Washed after each use in the salt. A marina will more than likely do it for you or maybe even a auto detail shop but they will want both your left arm and right foot.

[ 05-13-2003, 08:50 AM: Message edited by: CAGEY ]

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
When I had my ski boat and it was involved in a hit and run accadent on the street I had Cascade Marine 14900 S.E. Stark St. Portland OR 97233 Phone 503 255-8487 detail my boat and they did a fine job. Tell Ken that Ray sent ya.

I hope this helps

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It needs a major cleaning - removal of oxidation and hard water stains with steel wool or emery paper followed by polishing. I can do it, but I would rather be fishing than polishing.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
I just had a local aluminum polisher look at my sled. He said my metal is to coarse for buffing, but if he did it would be "streaky" looking. So he applied a "acid wash" (not etch), then lightly brushed the area and then washed it off. WOW!!! My boat is bright again. It will last most of the season, and then I'll have it do it again. Oh yeah, it was $30.00!

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Hey Snit, what kind of acid wash? Is there a product we can buy and apply ourselves? Would sure like some more info on what product was used on your boat, thanks.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
I don't know what his product was. I didn't want to ask him, because of the good deal that he gave me. But...I'm going to snoop a little and try to find out. I didn't want to appear like I was going to be a competitor of his (I'm not, I just want to do it myself). He did say that he cut it 4 to 1 with water, FYI.

·
Registered
909 Posts
I just finished redoeing my boat. Used a acid cleaner then polished . Then cleaned with laquer thinner then polished without the chemicals. Tonight I am putting on the second coat of sharkhide so I wont have to do it again. This stuff stands up to salt and other chemicals. Boat looks new again. You can check out their stuff on sharkhide.com. They sell alot of it to the pontoon boat people. You can also do a search on ifish and find some stuff on it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts