IFish Fishing Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
A boat without cleats is like a car without a parking brake! They should get you first in line, grind away the zolatone, weld on the cleats properly and repaint. Cleats aren’t optional at all.
I’m glad they are doing something to fix the issue. Hopefully, they’re the kind of business that fixes it right….
And congrats on the new boat!

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
I bought a new North River Revenge years ago off the showroom floor that had no cleats. Took it to a local fabrication shop to have some welded on. I just figured it was a normal thing for low end boats to cut corners. Didn't think much of it at the time.

·
Registered
10,138 Posts
One of the first things I inspect on a boat is the practicality of the cleats’ placement.

This is a good reminder to ask about them before signing on the dotted line.

CW

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Mine are bolted on. Nice heavy duty stainless bolts with nyloc nuts on them. My sled is only 16’ long but they are way more than adequate. I cant think of a scenario where they would break.

Reactions: Wreckless

·
Registered
862 Posts
I'd be ok with professionally installed cleats that are bolted on, it's how it's done on a glass boat. Grinding paint, welding and touching up seems less desirable to me on a new sled. But if they are sending it to the factory for this then that is best solution. Either way I'd still send a strongly worded letter to the top brass at Smokercraft,,,gregg

·
Registered
6,863 Posts
My 2000 smoker craft didn't have cleats. I don't think most of them came with cleats. I'm glad as I was able to mount them inside the rail molding instead of on top where they hang up on nets, people getting in and out etc. And place them in the proper positions to hang fenders correctly.

·
Registered
705 Posts
My 2000 smoker craft didn't have cleats. I don't think most of them came with cleats. I'm glad as I was able to mount them inside the rail molding instead of on top where they hang up on nets, people getting in and out etc. And place them in the proper positions to hang fenders correctly.
Ditto. 08 smoker lodge from stevens, no cleats. Just fine for me. No catching of lines, feet, or net bags. Improvised with carabiner to the rear grab handles and front eye hook.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
One of the first things I inspect on a boat is the practicality of the cleats’ placement.

This is a good reminder to ask about them before signing on the dotted line.

CW
100% correct. And not just the cleats. Boats are an “investment “ anymore due the higher costs. When I had my North River built I went to Roseburg 3 times and added at least a couple of items just before and during the build. They were very accommodating. When they delivered her she was ready to rock and roll. It’s all in the details and most of time it’s the little things that bite you in the end.:) 🇺🇸

·
Registered
12,298 Posts
Mine are bolted on. Nice heavy duty stainless bolts with nyloc nuts on them. My sled is only 16’ long but they are way more than adequate. I cant think of a scenario where they would break.

Yeah, I think I'd rather have some GOOD bolted on cleats than some of the welds I've seen on boats. I don't want to be anywhere NEAR a storm that can snap off the bolted on cleats I have on my duck/bay boat.

Reactions: SturgeonKing50

·
Registered
13,823 Posts
This is what happens when bean counters are given too much consideration. It sounds good on paper....

It's a toy. It's not an inexpensive toy. And as soon as you launch it, you are frustrated, because a need is not being met. People who buy expensive toys don't like to feel like they maker did them a disservice in an effort to save a few dollars (Charge a few more bucks. It's a 5 figure deal anyways. An extra 50-200 dollars for cleats is nothing in the grand scheme of things)

It's important to understand your market, and how they use the product. Some folks launch, and run into shore. Some folks tie to a dock. If you are saving a few dollars, but you are making the dock crowd frustrated with your product right out of the gate, that's poor management.

A well written email to the company that built the thing will save future buyers the same headaches.

Reactions: SturgeonKing50

·
Registered
1 Posts
So as any kid in a candy store, I'm excited to pick up my new boat. Not much on my mind other than, "I want to get fishing". I do my walk through, listening to the break in details of the motors and the list of items that are still waiting on back order that need to be done, which none of prevent me from taking the boat out.

The first time I put it in the water I realize something is missing that I thought was common on ALL boats. I had no cleats, NONE.

Are these now an optional item? Is there an easy way to solve this problem or do I need to complain again to the boat dealer that another item is missing?

Any help is most appreciated, thanks
No help but, a couple brought their brand new huge Duckworth to the ramp to launch for the first time.The colors, top, all matched their huge new truck truck. I helped them and we discovered there were no cleats in the boat, had to tie it up via the steering wheel. The wife was furious. I told her no big deal, they can put cleats on. She said *&!! cleats, the seats don't match the truck. Priorities.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Lucky they gave you a drain plug. Probably an option but I’m sure you got one!
I got two. Plastic ones.And the drain plug hole is threaded on my boat(Pro Sportsman) so I replaced it with a galvanized one. I’m not sure whether or not I like a threaded drain plug. :unsure:Just my opinion.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I got two. Plastic ones.And the drain plug hole is threaded on my boat(Pro Sportsman) so I replaced it with a galvanized one. I’m not sure whether or not I like a threaded drain plug. :unsure:Just my opinion.
If your boat and threaded hole is aluminum, you might want to rethink that galvanized plug. Electrolysis.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Thanks guys . Now I know why it came with two plastic ones. :oops: All my other boats had the rubber stopper in them. I would have never thought of that. This “Old” dog just learned a new trick.:D(y)

21 - 40 of 41 Posts