IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is on breaking news at KGW

Fatal boat capsizing off Oregon coast: The Coast Guard reports that a boat capsized off the Oregon coast this afternoon. One man died and another was pulled from the water by rescuers and is hospitalized. The incident happened just off the beach at Gearhart. Investigators think the boat may have just gotten too close to the surf and was capsized by waves. More to come...

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
I just got the tail end of the report, hope and pray alls well, but you said one's gone, that one to many.
Anyone one out there can add to this report??

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
Glad I am on my day off today since this is in my backyard ... :depressed:

Boat capsizes off Coast: 1 dead, 1 injured

07/21/2003 By JIM PARKER, kgw.com Staff

One man died and another was hospitalized for hypothermia Tuesday afternoon after their boat capsized in the Pacific Ocean off the Oregon coast, U.S. Coast Guard officials said.
The incident happened just off the beach at Gearhart about 2 p.m.

Officials said a truck driver was flagged down by a man on the beach who survived the capsizing and managed to make it to shore. The truck driver took the man to the Astoria Coast Guard station.
Coast Guard personnel said the survivor told them about the capsizing -- and said that his friend remained unaccounted for.

Rescue crews recovered the body of a 78-year old man around 3 p.m., pulling him from the water about 50 yards from where the capsized boat was spotted.

Authorities did not release the identities of either of the two men. The survivor was taken to Astoria Community Hospital, where doctors said he was being treated for severe hypothermia.

The 20-foot boat washed up on the beach near Gearhart late Monday afternoon. Coast Guard officials said they did not immediately know the name of the vessel.

Investigators said they think the boat may have just gotten too close to the surf and was capsized by waves.

[ 07-21-2003, 07:49 PM: Message edited by: BluePig ]

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
That's sad, I hope they weren't trying to fish the surf line. I don't understand why people do that.

Yesterday the coast guard was broadcasting that there may have been a boat in the surf North of the Gray's harbor jetty. It's always a bummer to hear about something like that.

·
Administrator
119,700 Posts
It was foggy and they wandered too close to the surf line.
Awfully sad. The guy took his Grandfather fishing. He was wearing a life jacket, his Grandfather not. :depressed:

This makes me want to get out my little handheld GPS and learn how to use it better. I have to learn how to tell how close to the surf we are.

I told Bill I'd go out in the ocean this week with him. I am taking my GPS to learn how to use it until I am comfortable with it.

I have a long ways to go.

My heart goes out to the family of the lost. This is always such a tragedy.
:depressed:

Jen

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
We took the puppy down to Cannon Beach/Seaside for some fun in the sand/surf.

It was foggy! We had just left Seaside yesterday and were headed to Astoria when we encountered some emergency vehicles in the afternoon.

Standing at the seawall in Seaside, you couldn't see the ocean. Cannon Beach earlier was clear!

I just can't imagine not putting on a life jacket, in those kinds of conditions. I admit to not wearing one all the time, but if it's a tad choppy, I put one on when pulling in the anchor/rope. Sounds like a GPS would have been helpful also....

·
Registered
138 Posts
Originally posted by [email protected]:
It was foggy and they wandered too close to the surf line.
Awfully sad. The guy took his Grandfather fishing. He was wearing a life jacket, his Grandfather not. :depressed:

This makes me want to get out my little handheld GPS and learn how to use it better. I have to learn how to tell how close to the surf we are.

I told Bill I'd go out in the ocean this week with him. I am taking my GPS to learn how to use it until I am comfortable with it.

I have a long ways to go.

My heart goes out to the family of the lost. This is always such a tragedy.
:depressed:

Jen
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">

·
Registered
138 Posts
In my intro. lettere I mentioned how I wanted to go to the ocean for some of that action, but was forwarned that without a gps and\or a vhf that it wouldn't be wise, I'm glad I listened to the replies.

·
Registered
627 Posts
I got lost in the fog once a few years ago outside of Chinook landing ended up over by Camas then came back across and saw land then threw anchor over and waited for fog to lift. Very Very scary, said I wont do that again. I feel very sorry for those people having that happen in the Ocean. :depressed: :depressed: :depressed:

·
Registered
22,376 Posts
Ryan, I still have heard nothing about the Grays Harbor incident. Sad to hear about this one. Sad thing was that neither of those folks had PFD's on at first. The younger man was able to get his on. His grandfather did not make it because of the lack of a PFD. :depressed:

Come on folks, it just ain't that unconfortable. Get a clue!

·
Flatlander
7,595 Posts
jen,
I advance of going out, pre plot the bouys, and other navaids (surf, jettys, etc..) in the area you are going....If you got chart data downloaded you won't need to do this, but for the simple GPS this is a great way to get started.

This will begin you pre trip planning. Then when you get out there you will find points of interest, but with no surprises. That is great thing of GPS...no surprises.

Plot a course out and around (in advance of course) a bouy or two, or a route out through the jaws and back, then follow the GPS to those locations. If you don't have the Lat/Lon to pre-plan a out/in routes, then use your track data from your trip as your route plan for future use. Only by using will you get to see how powerful these guys are.

gus

·
Banned
1,580 Posts
I question what these guys were doing down off
Seaside anyway. That's a long ways down, even in a nice ocean.
There is no way to dodge all those crab pots, in fog, forget it.Prob. got one in the prop.I have no idea who they were or what exp. they had.
Heck, I saw a guy in a Jet Ski fishing at Buoy #2
on Sunday in a crappy sea. What's going on?
I don't know if they were just plain lost, or they were down chasing Chinooks on the beach, as some people do on occasion.
Unless you have a Dory and/or know what you'r doing I don't advise going anywhere near the surf line North or South of the C.R..
I have been fishing the area for 27 years, could count on one hand the number of times I have been down there. I'm very happy with catching Silvers on the red line. I like to be close to the bar when it starts getting sloppy as it was Sunday, no place for small boats.

·
Registered
540 Posts
amen Tom(kamloops),it was bad enough on the miss B with Mel don't understand some of those small boats being out there. the guy on the jet ski might have been the cops they did that last year.....Roger

·
Banned
1,580 Posts
Roger, I agree it may have been, but did you see the guy had an electric trolling motor jerry rigged on the stern of that thing.
My skiis only have about 12gl of fuel total, and at maybe 1 to 1.5 hours of endurance time.
I don't think there's a fuel dock out there and didn't see his mother ship. What a nut!!!

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
Originally posted by kamloops:
Roger, I agree it may have been, but did you see the guy had an electric trolling motor jerry rigged on the stern of that thing.
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">That's impressive but even more so when he gets his radar arch. :grin:

·
Registered
516 Posts
On the topic of the jet ski. If someone ever made an aluminum jet ski they would be the ultimate river fishing machine. Haven't seen the guy fishing the ocean yet, hope he has a good wetsuit.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts