IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
101 - 120 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #101 ·
The heat has slowed down the build process over the last few days. I attached some pictures of the aft helm, forward helm overhead electronics box and stern lockers. The aft helm will have an electronics box attached to it, where I can lock my plotter / sonar display. The box will also have usb chargers, VHF radiologist and switches for deck lights, water pumps and accessory power plugs for electric reels, crab davit and down riggers.

The last major fabrication projects include building a gunnel boarding door on the starboard side, running the gutter from the brow to the aft part of the roof, gunnel lockers and bow rail
. The inside painting should happen in the next couple of weeks, and then the wiring and electronics install begins. I got framed windows on order…going local with Peninsula glass.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #102 ·
Sat down with Wayne yesterday to map out next steps with the boat build. This is where cost adds up real quick, which I was prepared for. We had to figure out needs and wants. Most of the wants will happen, but some will not. I really wanted to add the Optimus 360 Joystick control system, but it will have to happen later. I have fly-by-wire controls, so learn how to spin the boat with twins.

The month of July will consist of:

Complete all welding where it was only tacked Mig and Tig
Fabricate the starboard gunnel door
Fabricate the 10 x 6 lockers on the port and starboard cockpit sides.
Install the rest of the skin on roof
Run the gutter down from the brow
Fabricate and install the 33 rocket launchers
Install the tube were the crab davit will go
Fabricate and install the bow rail
Paint the inside of the pilot house, dog house, inside the sides of the boat.
Then we start running wire.

We have most of the wiring, pumps, hoses and hardware, but I need to order in the next week:
Heater - Webasto
Cabin lights - not sure yet / white and red
Running lights - 5 Ridged 6 inch spots
Deck light - Ridgid 5 inch flood diffused
Fans
Bench seat upholstery - Vallentine.
Outrigger bases - Taco Grand Slam 280’s

we need most of this stuff to complete the fab work.

all the tuna talk is killing me…I wish I didn’t sell my boat

·
Registered
5,790 Posts
All of this is extremely cool and exciting. So, when do you anticipate sea trials? Bet it's going to be all you hoped and designed for!

Thanks for the up dates!

·
Registered
6,321 Posts
With no Optimus and no bow thruster, hopefully you are planning to do the motors on very wide centers? That would make maneuvering much easier and allow for the possibility of adding the third main motor on there if needed. It will also allow the Optimus to perform better once it is installed. Did you discuss doing just Optimus EPS? That would allow for the wide centers, easy autopilot and then you would be closer to the 360 system without spending all the money up front.

Looks like some very well thought out details going into the accessorizing! And sounds like just enough rocket launchers for a tournament tuna boat!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #105 ·
We are shooting to get the boat to Garibaldi in October. Ray at Big Tuna will hang the motors and off we go. I hope to put some hours on it before I pull it out in November. I will then have Ray bottom paint it, and work out whatever issues or changes that need to occur over the winter.
It looks so close to being done, but there are still countless items that need to be done. I feel very fortunate to have someone close to where I live to build my boat. Wayne at JAMA has an open door policy to view progress and even help with the project. We both had a vision and it’s coming together. I know Wayne’s as excited as I am to see that girl glide through the water. Wayne and Brian have put a lot of hard work, creativity and love into my boat.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #106 ·
With no Optimus and no bow thruster, hopefully you are planning to do the motors on very wide centers? That would make maneuvering much easier and allow for the possibility of adding the third main motor on there if needed. It will also allow the Optimus to perform better once it is installed. Did you discuss doing just Optimus EPS? That would allow for the wide centers, easy autopilot and then you would be closer to the 360 system without spending all the money up front.

Looks like some very well thought out details going into the accessorizing! And sounds like just enough rocket launchers for a tournament tuna boat!
Wayne did spread the motors out for that very reason. We talked about a bow thruster, but the plan is to add a joystick system down the road. I’m not totally sure how the system is rigged, but I am installing components that will work with the Optimus 360. It costs a little more, but when I decided to pull the trigger, the rigging will be part way there.

·
Registered
Troller. Explorer, Marlin curious.
14,656 Posts
Don't forget my open invite. There is no reason to miss out on TUNA! Don't be a stranger.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #108 ·
Don't forget my open invite. There is no reason to miss out on TUNA! Don't be a stranger.
I appreciate your invite John. I do have boats to fish on, but I feel bad for my core crew. Mike took me out on El Jefe and that was a blast.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #109 · (Edited)
Just found out my windows will not be ready for 24 weeks. Looks like my boat will not see the water until 2022. COVID is one of those gifts that keep giving. The supply chain for just about everything is out of wack.

·
Premium Member
19,240 Posts
24 weeks??? They have someone out in the desert still looking for just the right sand to melt down? I'd sure be looking at a different source and hope you aren't hung up waiting for them.

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
On a good day they're out 3-4 months for custom framed windows. Could always just put flat glass in the windshield for a couple hundred bucks and be able to run it without the others, then put them all in this winter.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #112 ·
Not much going on with my boat build over the holiday, but I had a chance to get it done today as a crew member with Mike on El Jefe. We got the deck bloody with tuna!!! They are here. Here is a picture of the captain with his fish

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Not much going on with my boat build over the holiday, but I had a chance to get it done today as a crew member with Mike on El Jefe. We got the deck bloody with tuna!!! They are here. Here is a picture of the captain with his fish View attachment 958465
Let the games begin

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #114 ·
Now that I got to hear the reels sing the tuna song, I’m even more anxious to get my boat built. I can’t wait to run that girl west.

I stopped by today to view the progress, and they got the rain cover over the rear helm framed out and the skin on the roof. I was impressed with all the plug welding they did on the roof. This will make the roof rock solid. They also installed the second high speed water pickup and swim deck on the starboard side. Wayne is on vacation this week, so Brian and James will be completing a bunch loose ends like installing the hinges on the cabinets and completing the welds all around the pilot house.

when Wayne gets back, they will build the starboard entry door and side lockers on both the port and starboard side.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #115 ·
It’s been a while since my last post, due to all the little things being completed on my boat didn’t have much of a wow factor. The side rocket launchers were fabricated and installed, all the finish welds were completed, hatches and lockers got hinges.

The next big fab job will be the rod lockers, gunnel door, bow rail, and the rocket launchers on the rear of the pilot house.

I attached a few pictures of the progress.

Attachments

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #116 ·
Progress has been slow due to the windows having a December date of arrival. I was able to find a replacement vendor, which is guaranteeing an early October delivery date, so the building will start up again.

the only change from my last post is the bow rail got installed. I’m working with a couple of manufactures that may put some beta test components on my boat. Once all parties agree to details, I will share what will be being installed.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #117 ·
Here are a couple of updated pictures of the build, which includes the 10 foot gunnel storage lockers and Furuno DFF3D / Chirp combination pocket mount transducer. Can’t wait to see my new electronics package work.
Flooring Electricity Engineering Gas Building
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Public address system Automotive lighting Automotive design
Automotive tire Boat Naval architecture Vehicle Gas

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #118 ·
Finally got the gunnel door, rocket launchers and side lockers completed. I will have a total of 27 rod holders on the pilot house, 10 rod holders on the gunnel, and 3 rod holders on the bow rail.

We also added extra plating on the pilot house roof to strengthen the out rigger bases. The last fab project will be adding three more feet of bow rail, additional rails inside the pilot house for safety and completing the electronics mast.
Building Door Monochrome Machine Monochrome photography
Composite material Rectangle Gas Cooking Food
Motor vehicle Wood Automotive exterior Automotive tire Gas
Wood Automotive tire Rectangle Composite material Gas
Boat Motor vehicle Automotive design Plant Naval architecture

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #120 ·
The welding is just about done. The last fab job will be adding a pipe on both the port and starboard side cockpit for either a crab pot puller.

the last jobs completed were adding an additional three rails inside the pilot house, and extending the bow rails. They also blacked out the rails and rod Holders.
Building Automotive design Wood Art Flooring
Yellow Floor Flooring Gas Symmetry
Gas Automotive design Machine Building Engineering
Automotive tire Automotive exterior Motor vehicle Gas Fender
Building Fixture Composite material Rectangle Metal

101 - 120 of 124 Posts