IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
61 - 80 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
I was up at the Jama shop yesterday and saw this creation in person. Impressive, to say the least.

The craftsman standing in the bow gives you a perspective on how big this thing is...and it's big!

One thing that always impresses me with Wayne's work, and the reason I decided to have him build my Jama Fury sled, is the structural engineering that goes into his hulls, and his fanatical attention to detail. He thinks this stuff all the way through, and there's no cutting corners.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
Anchor rope box and pulpit is almost done. They started to notch the front of the pulpit so the anchor slides in for security and aesthetics. It’s like Hubbs said above...Wayne goes above and beyond when thinking through a build. He takes a lot of pride at what he does.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
The boat is now being prepared for the pilot house build this week. There will be two steps up to the bow from the walk around portion along the side of the pilot house. There will be five feet from the doghouse to the tip of the bow, which will allow room to fly fish, jig or cast a bait net. The deck height on the bow is the band around the hull (waist high based on the person standing in the hull. The railing will begin before the two steps to the bow deck.

Lots of important conversations happening now...for example...how much space do we need for the head, and cabinetry for the Plano boxes. If it wasn’t for my wife, I would scrap the head, replace it with a five gallon bucket (we are fabricating a big swim step) and incorporate more storage for tackle.

·
Registered
Troller. Explorer, Marlin curious.
14,656 Posts
I bought that same 33 # anchor and it would not fit in my anchor nest. Traded it back for 30 foot of chain and a 22 # anchor. Guess I need another 6 foot of boat to make that 33# size work. We had a head and other boater-home features on the previous vessel. Not used 90% of the time. But really appreciated when it was used. I decided against 10% useful stuff this time around. Lookin good. I am interested in your Pilot house layout, still trying to learn all I can about Pilot house features. We are also working on tackle storage on deck. No solid ideas on that yet.

One of my crew gave the layout we did 2 thumbs up. That was after he found the recline button on the seat and realized the dash is a foot rest. Now he can resume the usual practice of sleeping all the way to the fishing spot. One thing we had alot of issues with was the height of the seats and the distance from the seat to the helm. Think this over carefully and I suggest doing a mockup to make sure you get something that works. Our next winter list includes redoing that spacing between seats and helm.

Reactions: tomictime

·
Registered
5,166 Posts
Looking great !,,, i understand the head / bucket debate.

i had NR take 16” off the cuddy so i could add to foredeck space for Halibut anchor tote, etc. I opted for a Rockna 12 kg, not on a Pulpit.....i am limited to 35’ slip. Compromise for sure. i had a 33# Bruce on the CW w all chain rode. superb.

Finally consider a flip down bolster seat for easy access out side door and easy reach to controls, ability to drive standing if desired...not inexpensive unfortunately...i went w Shockwave, there are probably other brands as well....

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
Looking great !,,, i understand the head / bucket debate.

i had NR take 16” off the cuddy so i could add to foredeck space for Halibut anchor tote, etc. I opted for a Rockna 12 kg, not on a Pulpit.....i am limited to 35’ slip. Compromise for sure. i had a 33# Bruce on the CW w all chain rode. superb.

Finally consider a flip down bolster seat for easy access out side door and easy reach to controls, ability to drive standing if desired...not inexpensive unfortunately...i went w Shockwave, there are probably other brands as well.... View attachment 953707
We will be installing the SHOXS 6300 bulkhead mount seat, which will fold down on the operators side, (operators side has a sliding door which will allow exit & entry out of the door while seat is folded down), and the SHOXS 3200 with the X4 pedestal on the passengers side. These seats are not inexpensive, but the versatility of being able to fold down seat, and smooth ride which will save my back is well worth the money. I spend a lot of time looking into seats, and was impressed with the construction of the SHOXS.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
The doghouse is starting to go up. It will have a 10 inch step going down to get into the doghouse. It will have the head, about 20 large plano boxes for tackle organization,heater, some storage and access to the back of the electrical components. The dimensions will be LxWxH - 5 x 6 x 5. I like how the builder angled the corners.
I hate running into sharp edges.

·
Registered
14,656 Posts
You will find the deck space at the pinch point (forward end of the house) to be much improved by angling those forward corners. We got to a foot from gunnel to house at the deck by doing that. Previous straight design gave maybe 8 inches clearance at the deck. That was a no go on first sight. The four extra inches made a big difference. I was running around the pilot house on 'Surprise' in the side yard avoiding yellow jackets this morning. I love me some 360 degree deck space.

·
Registered
5,166 Posts
more food for thought..let me know if i am being troublesome...i had NR add a hanging rod inside cuddy for floatcoats, PFD, etc on hangers....
p

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
more food for thought..let me know if i am being troublesome...i had NR add a hanging rod inside cuddy for floatcoats, PFD, etc on hangers.... View attachment 953815 p
I like the idea of a hanging rod. I will also have a closet on the aft port side of the pilot house. it will be 7 feet tall, about 30 inches deep and wide. I will have a shelf at the top of the closet with easy access to 8 type I life jackets.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
The front panel of the house went up. The sides should be completed today. There will be a 10 inch step up to the helm in the pilot house, which will allow a clear line of vision looking forward. The roof will step down to retain the 7 foot high pilot house. which will almost have the look of a Delta. There is also a picture of the builder sizing up the head.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
It’s been a slow week. The builder took a week off to recharge. He will be at it again this week. The dog house is inclosed, and the sides are starting to go on. Here are a couple updated pictures. More should come before the end of the week.

Attachments

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #77 · (Edited)
Progress is happening, just not as visually significant as the beginning of the build. The doghouse is almost done... A hatch was installed to inspect any potential issues under the forward deck if needed, the base for the head is done and a second hatch to mount the heater and diesel fuel tank. The sides of the pilot house are going up with framing to follow.

The helm will be 10 inches higher than the seating area in the pilot house, which will give good vision over the bow and some character for my girl.

The transom cabinets are getting close to being completed. They need to finish the welds and fabricate the doors. The top of the transom will be cut out and hatches installed for storage boxes. There will be three hatches on top of the transom, which will be about 16 inches deep and 36 inches wide. The lower cabinets will house the batteries, fuel / water separators, battery switches, wash down & livewell pumps, and whatever else Wayne thinks needs to go in there.

I am finally able to see the space between the Pilot house and gunnel. There is plenty of space to walk and fish. The bow will also be a great spot to cast bait nets.

I am very impressed how much thought and care the JAMA crew has put into this build. They definitely don’t take short cuts and do it right. Watching this whole process is instilling a high level of confidence in my vessel. Can’t wait until she splashes in the salt.

·
Registered
14,656 Posts
Glad to see your door slides reinforced by channel. That should keep them straight. We had a hell of a time getting our doors to slide. The slides were bolted to the house directly. On the bottom slides the house had a potato chip right in the middle of the slide bending it in the middle. This was caused by the welds on the seatboxes in the house drawing the metal and warping it.

It took awhile to figure it out and I pressed the potato chip flat with the hydraulic cylinder from my 20 ton press and some railroad ties. That took the wow out of the lower slide. If you ever had issues sliding a door on 'Surprise' ... Beware ... they slide real easy now.

Reactions: BIGCSS

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 ·
John...I am amazed by all the little things that make a big difference with a build. Not being a welder, I had no idea what heat does to aluminum... All the welds need to be pre-planned, or things tend to warp real quick.

61 - 80 of 124 Posts