IFish.net banner

1 - 20 of 162 Posts

·
Registered
14,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Heard a rumour that a certain boat builder was at it again. This is what I found when I did a little digging. 28' walkaround pilothouse. This boat is based on a design that this boatyard has built a few times, with some updates. I've always wanted a boat built by this yard since a friend of mine showed me his new boat in back in the 20th century. Sometimes things eventually work out. I'm buying a glider. That is a finished hull that I will take elsewhere and add all the good stuff to. I'm taking my time and doing it without rushing through it. We should be back on the big blue next year. Our new friend is not named yet. All things in good time.

I reloaded the photo so it would show up here but it did not work. When I used the same size and same method on a new post it works.

This earlier version of the 28' pilothouse can be found at a popular Columbia river port. From 10 years ago. By all accounts the owner loves it.

https://www.ifish.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/459081/size/big/cat//ppuser/194

https://www.ifish.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/459083/size/big/cat//ppuser/194

https://www.ifish.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/459085/size/big/cat//ppuser/194

https://www.ifish.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/459087/size/big/cat//ppuser/194

Not many sailors can claim the title of Plankowner. A plankowner is a sailor that served on a commissioning crew for a new ship. This will be the second 'boat' that I helped to build. FWIW the Navy calls the small craft that ferry sailors to and from ports of call 'Boats' and they call Submarines 'Boats'. My first boat was built at Electric Boat in Groton, Connecticut and it retired a few years ago after a 35 year career in the submarine service. This new boat makes me a two time plankowner. Booyah!

And last but not least ... the journey begins.

Frames on a jig.

https://www.ifish.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/459089/size/big/cat//ppuser/194

The build starts upside down

https://www.ifish.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/459091/size/big/cat//ppuser/194

Quarter inch bent on a 24 ft press brake

https://www.ifish.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/459093/size/big/cat//ppuser/194

·
Registered
13,238 Posts
Re: Boat build

I have seen that hull advertised for a while. Some things I really like about it. I have mixed emotions with the builder though. :whistle::whistle:

·
Premium Member
8,758 Posts

Well, you surely have a good idea of what you will be getting.

Not surprisingly I like the layout!
ron m

·
Registered
14,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

I thought of your boat 'Silverfish' when I saw it, Ron.

·
Premium Member
8,758 Posts

I thought of your boat 'Silverfish' when I saw it, Ron.
John, I figured that. I looked at the pics, nice looking boat. One thing to consider: the locker in front of the ph could be a half tote instead. I now have 2 half-totes on Silverfish, good for tuna days.

·
Registered
5,997 Posts

So it begins...good luck with this project and we'll see you on the pond next summer!!

Looks like a super layout for the NW!

·
Registered
14,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

We don't catch cow tuna here. But I have to ask do you ever use the walkaround to chase fish around the rail of the boat.

'Infidel' has that box on the front of the pilothouse. It is a locker under the feet of the people sitting in the front row in the pilothouse. I plan on recessed tiedown points on the deck there instead of that locker. Then you can put a cooler, 1/2 tote or people in that spot.

Bear in mind that the pictures do no justice to the size of the boat. It is bigger in person than it looks in the photos. There is alot of deck to work with. Pretty much this is what sold it for me.

·
Registered
521 Posts

The journey begins again! Welcome back.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts

I'm really happy for you brother and I can't wait to make my contribution with some shiny custom cabinets and brightwork. Will that make me a Plankowner?

·
Registered
5,997 Posts

We don't catch cow tuna here. But I have to ask do you ever use the walkaround to chase fish around the rail of the boat.

'Infidel' has that box on the front of the pilothouse. It is a locker under the feet of the people sitting in the front row in the pilothouse. I plan on recessed tiedown points on the deck there instead of that locker. Then you can put a cooler, 1/2 tote or people in that spot.

Bear in mind that the pictures do no justice to the size of the boat. It is bigger in person than it looks in the photos. There is a lot of deck to work with. Pretty much this is what sold it for me.
I know we use the walkaround and Tuna Time does as well...you just need nimble anglers that can dance around the bow without falling overboard! Spread out and follow your fish!

·
Registered
14,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Yes. You are on the commissioning crew, Don. You and all your mad woodworking skills! Later you can help me get it bloody.

·
Premium Member
8,758 Posts

Yes, we sometimes have to follow fish around the boat and the walk-a-round can be helpful for that. Also one or two can be on the bow and cast to jumpers when we are pursuing them, easier than having everyone on the back deck casting.

Another thing to consider is lots of rod holders on the rails, bow to stern. Nice for putting rods in when trolling lots of rods, drifting dead baits, or to use when halibut fishing or to quickly get a rod out of the way when salmon trolling and bringing a fish to the boat to net. Those short rail rod holder are more than sturdy, but can be hard on cork rod holdlers.
ron m

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
super excited for you my friend, happy to help get your new friend floated!! :excited:
cc

·
Registered
16,494 Posts
Gonna be very sweet.
And very bloody this time next year.
Good luck mon.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
what are the specs on the hull? width, deadrise ect. Looks like a great project

·
Registered
101 Posts
Can't wait to see what an edwing walk around looks like. Think I may have ended up with your boat initially intended for you by Kujo?

·
Registered
14,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
what are the specs on the hull? width, deadrise ect. Looks like a great project
More photos tomorrow if we make it to Chinook tonight.

Ed is open to other projects if you are not in a hurry. My project will keep him busy for another couple of months. Look on Facebook for the Edwing boats page and check Craigslist for Edwing boats and see whatever ad he is running. They expire periodically and he renews them whenever he does. My advice is to have a real clear idea of what you want and stick to it. Change mid-project is not good.

This is a glider as delivered from Edwing boats. That means it is a welded out hull with no trailer, wiring, electronics, engines or any finish work. A canvas which I will fit out and configure to my specifications. If any of you know me well you can only imagine what that will be.

28 ft LOA. This includes the euro transom. The new design is not a flotation box welded to the back of the hull. It is a continuous hull/deck all the way to the engine mount. The transom is moved forward 2 feet and the gunnels taper down to the deck.

3" schedule 80 rail topping the gunnel all the way around. The hull is 1/4" aluminum corrosion resist alloy, frames are .190". There is about 40" of gunnel so side rails are not needed. Waist high to the rail.

Reverse chine the entire length of the hull.

Wet deck with scuppers aft and recessed tie down points for fish totes or cargo.

The under deck is chambered, sealed and pressure tested for flotation.
Wiring is under deck in conduit, no exposed wiring or electrical on deck.
100 gallons of fuel built in.

8.5 ft wide at the water, 9 ft at the rail.
20 degree deadrise at the stern with a bluff bow and a steep entry.
5.5 ft wide by 7 ft high by 9 ft long pilot house with a sliding door on each side and a man door on the aft end.

Expected weight is 5500 lbs, power is limited to 400 maybe up to 500 hp. It will take twins, or twins with a center kicker or one main and a kicker on the side. Looks like there is plenty of room for a bleed tank and livebait tank on the engine deck.

Here's the best part 10 feet by 8 feet aft of the house. You can park a 1/2 tote forward, aft or in both places and still have dance floor. 5500 lbs of reserve bouyancy. I expect 2 to 2.5 KnPG with a DF350 Suzuki outboard.

I am inviting several craftsmen to assist me in the fit and finish. A shout out to Woody and Chris Curtis among others.

·
Registered
14,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
This boat only has one purpose. I am going to assist my friend 'Puffin' in his quest to prevent earth from becoming "Planet of the TUNA!".

·
Premium Member
8,758 Posts
John, the 100 gal tank is the size I have, I suggest a little larger tank if possible. Also make sure the opening to fill the flank is NOT on the deck, mine is and I wish I had a fill tube.

3 doors on the ph will be nice in some ways, but losing one on a side of the ph will give you a good spot for racking rods with the rod butt on the deck.
ron m

1 - 20 of 162 Posts