IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
10,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to upgrade to a 24' open sled.

I currently run a 20' 10 degree Predator and love it, not opposed to getting another one, that being said I am leaning more towards a 24' Willie classic with the 27" sides.

I mostly fish reservoirs now and the snake and I want a big open boat that will fish at least 7 comfortably ( I have 4 kids and they have lots of friends)

So that being said, what other boats should I be looking at? I want the lower sides (30" or shorter) and a big platform that tracks well for trolling and Jigging.

·
Registered
3,288 Posts
Maybe also take a look at the River Wild boats, I've been in one a few times and they seem like a nicely built boat.

·
Registered
10,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maybe also take a look at the River Wild boats, I've been in one a few times and they seem like a nicely built boat.
I'll give them a call, I've been in a few they're nice.

·
Registered
224 Posts
2484 28 side nemesis
2484 28 side raptor
2484 27 side fuzion
2484 28 side predator
2484 27 side classic

I think biggest test is finding a Willie right now they go quick from what I seen , unless you want too wait on a custom build from them .I think there is one on Portland Craigslist right now but I got mine last March 2184 open raptor from y marina ; but I don’t fish many …just want too be cozy.

I like there design personally and accessories options fit my needs. Happy hunting

·
Registered
5,310 Posts
Koffler Sled Boat in a 24'x72". Joe will make it however you want in respect to side height, deadrise (6 degree is standard), floor width, etc, but expect to wait a bit as they are booked solid for a year or more.

·
Registered
10,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
2484 28 side nemesis
2484 28 side raptor
2484 27 side fuzion
2484 28 side predator
2484 27 side classic

I think biggest test is finding a Willie right now they go quick from what I seen , unless you want too wait on a custom build from them .I think there is one on Portland Craigslist right now but I got mine last March 2184 open raptor from y marina ; but I don’t fish many …just want too be cozy.

I like there design personally and accessories options fit my needs. Happy hunting

I'm a willie guy at heart, been running them for 20+ years.

Just looking at other options.

Of their current line up, it's between a 10 degree predator, classic, or a raptor. But it's impossible to find any of those besides a Classic in used with 27" sides and willie is 2 years out on a new build.

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
A 24’ used Classic is pretty hard to come by unless you shop the Northern Cali Craigslist or Facebook market place . I see Classics up for sale in Alaska but normally they are smaller.

If I was building a boat for your area I would defiantly go Classic all the way and stick with the lower sides. Plus you don’t need a ton of HP to run that boat.

I run a 5 degree Willie and fish everywhere weather permitting. It’s big and wide and I feel safe even with the almost flat bottom.
Definitely doesn’t cut the chop but way more stable while fishing. No tipping like those deep V ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A 24’ used Classic is pretty hard to come by unless you shop the Northern Cali Craigslist or Facebook market place . I see Classics up for sale in Alaska but normally they are smaller.

If I was building a boat for your area I would defiantly go Classic all the way and stick with the lower sides. Plus you don’t need a ton of HP to run that boat.

I run a 5 degree Willie and fish everywhere weather permitting. It’s big and wide and I feel safe even with the almost flat bottom.
Definitely doesn’t cut the chop but way more stable while fishing. No tipping like those deep V ones.

I have a call into Mike to get on the list if one pops up.

I love my 10 degree predator, in my experience with the 5 degrees, I've noticed that they tend to cavitate a bit more.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
122 Posts
Ditto on Bruce and Rogue. He builds a quality boat at fair price and uses his experience and input to help you get the boat you want.

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
I have a call into Mike to get on the list if one pops up.

I love my 10 degree predator, in my experience with the 5 degrees, I've noticed that they tend to cavitate a bit more.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
I didn’t have much of a problem when I had a jet pump. I run prop 100 % of the time now and definitely no issues

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
I almost bought a 22' Willie Raptor but I am so happy with my 20' Predator
I didn't bite the bullet. 30 years old and has given me zero problems.

Yes, the 5 degree is a rough ride in rough water but aluminum boats
seem to be rough anyhow?

fop

P.S. I still kinda wish I would have bought that 22' Raptor with the
150 Yamaha.

·
Registered
10,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I almost bought a 22' Willie Raptor but I am so happy with my 20' Predator
I didn't bite the bullet. 30 years old and has given me zero problems.

Yes, the 5 degree is a rough ride in rough water but aluminum boats
seem to be rough anyhow?

fop

P.S. I still kinda wish I would have bought that 22' Raptor with the
150 Yamaha.
I'm running out of seats every trip it seems or I'd just keep the 20' for ever..

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Willie builds nice boats river wild builds nice boats alumaweld does too, although they feel more stamped out production boats. I loved my 24’ raptor although it was ordered with extra height sides which didn’t help in the wind. I would get the removable windshield and add a bow mount trolling motor to combat the wind. Add Extra deep rod lockers!

·
Registered
13,860 Posts
1- You aint buying a boat
2-A couple inches of side height is a non issue. Quit overthinking it.
3-Flatties ride rough.

Get a Bayliner Capri or a Lund Fish N Ski. Ladies like boats with tops, dry rides, smooth rides. A sled aint any of those things.

Reactions: tt3886

·
Registered
10,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
3-Flatties ride rough.

Get a Bayliner Capri or a Lund Fish N Ski. Ladies like boats with tops, dry rides, smooth rides. A sled aint any of those things.
1 - 90% chance
2 - Sorry not capable of that.. Speaking of that there should be a new package from Scheels and Garmin in the mail today.
3 - If the captain is going to be miserable, everyone else should be too :)

They've never been in anything but a sled, don't plan on changing that.

Pontoon boat was an option, but they suck in the wind. Kinda like a windshield boat.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
3-Flatties ride rough.

Drop 50k on a boat so that the Mrs can be comfortable for the 3 times a year she's actually in the boat?? I may be a little whipped, but that's borderline batsh#% crazy whipped

·
Registered
13,860 Posts
He's doing this for his 4 daughters and wife.

Maybe it would be better to just let the kids watch Kardashians tv shows and play video games.

Oh, and he aint buying a boat.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts