IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Symptoms:
Coolant back up into tank with bubbling.
Fluctuating temperature
Small coolant leakage on ground. :depressed:

The oil is clear and there is no presence of oil in coolant. No coolant smell from tail pipe or smoke.
What do you guys think?
Sure glad I bought that extended warranty :yay:

·
Banned
19,959 Posts
Re: Blown head gasket or bad water pump

Stew, if you do not see milky oil, you probably did not blow a head gasket. This is a good thing, my first reaction would be check your thermostat. If that is ok then I'd have my radiator checked. Try to find out where the coolant is leaking from.

salmon hugger sez, please think about the salmon before you vote

·
Registered
8,507 Posts

You wont always get water in the oil with a blown or cracked head.Take the cap off the radiater,start the engine look in the radiater.Is it blowing bubbles.Air coming out through the radiator.The best way to check is to doo a compression test.Very easy to do.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Re: Blown head gasket or bad water pump???

Is the "bubbling" constant? I mean, does it happen when the engine is cold as well as warmed up? or does the bubbling occur only when the temperture is "in the red?"

·
Registered
1,494 Posts

Thermostat is a great place to start as there are very few things as easy and cheap to replace on a car.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts

Head gaskets can leak between combustion chamber, and coolant passage without contaminating your oil. A good indicator of this will be, that you are consuming coolant. It is going into the combustion chamber and being burnt off. Look for excessive moisture from the tailpipe, after engine is fully warm.
That being said, start with the simple items first. Compression check being one of them. Oh, and if you happen to find a really clean sparkplug while you're doing your check. You've probably found your smoking gun.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

The coolant has backed up into the tank and the temperture gage if fluctuating. No coolant loss or moisture in tailpipe.
I'm taking it in tomorrow and I'll let you guys know what I find out.
The bubbling seems to be intermitant and I'm noticing that the water pump doesn't sound right.
Thanks for the help :cheers:

·
Registered
1,494 Posts

If it doesn't sound right then the water pump is likely to be the problem. Mine went out 6 months ago and sound was a dead give away. I confirmed the problem by wiggling the end of it and there was a definate wobble. Good luck.

·
Registered
370 Posts

Check for a small wheep hole on the bottom side of your water pump, if you see some discoloration around the wheep hole where it looks like water has been coming out then the water pump is the problem.
-SRS

·
Registered
1,071 Posts

A simple test will almost always let you know if its a head gasket or not. Go to a auto parts store and buy a block tester. You add a chemical to the tester remove radiator cap and pump some of the steam from the radiator into the tester. If the color in the tester changes that means its picking up exhaust gases from the combustion chamber. You can blow a head gasket and not have water in the oil. Small block Chevys are notorious for this. Good luck.

·
Registered
8,507 Posts

Another easy check is the radiator cap.They do go bad .You might be surprised at what they can do when they arent holding the right pressure.The water pump might be going out.But I would be surprised if it caused the temp to fluctuate.Unless its leaking enough water to let your engine get hot.Then cooling as you get your speed up.The weep hole on the pump is a good thing to check.Also grab the fan blade and wiggle it back and forth to see if there is any slop in the shaft.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It's the water pump :yay: and the radiator was not holding pressure due to the cap.
Thanks guys for all your help :cheers:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.