IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
6,590 Posts
What are the rule and regulation for camping and quad use on Blm land? Main roads for quads only(i hope)? Camping where you deside to stop for the night? Thanks for any and all help.

Camp at will anywhere its not posted. Right now camp fires are probably banned, they are most summers. Quads are a different story. No one can say for sure unless you are specific on an area. Much of the BLM areas are wilderness study areas and quads are strictly forbidden. If you use them on roads that people are driving in rigs you are probably fine. If you are the first to cut tracks then you very well may not be fine. The best thing to do is to get a map of the area you are going to be in.

Please be mindful of cutting new tracks, there are others around, you probably won't even see us, but it not a very nice thing when we hike back several miles only to have someone drive in to an area they should not be in.

Cheers and good luck.

· Registered
1,049 Posts
You shouldn't have to have an ATV licensed on BLM land. On county roads yes, but not BLM. When we hunted near Baker a couple years ago we were told by the BLM that ATV's are legal anywhere in the area we were hunting. If it was dry and fire danger was high, then they don't want you riding cross country, but otherwise, they said ATV's can go anywhere they want. I don't necessarily agree with that policy, but that is what we were told by the BLM office in Baker.

· Registered
24,170 Posts
if the road is dirt or gravel it is legal, if it is not posted no atv on fed gov lands. maintained county roads not legal. it is illegal to ride them in any wilderness study area, off the existing roads.

· Registered
8,638 Posts
I am guessing that this year until there is rain you will only be able to drive on a maintened gravel road that has no grass or weeds on it. Any truck or atv can start a fire setting on grass and that won't be good for any one:bigshock:. It will be interesting to hear what the antelope guys have to say when they get back?

· Registered
6,590 Posts
if you read the post titled level IV fire danger it shows atv usage

There is a new fire restriction that went into effect today. It was level IV (4) the highest. I guess its now like 11 on the volume dial. Its higher than the highest and does not have a number. Even a ban on smoking, no kidding. Check the BLM offices when you go through town.

· Registered
311 Posts
If the area isn't closed and they are treading lightly it shouldn't be a problem. Especially if you are an old timer hunting or someone with some health problems.
Why would anyone take someone out with health problems, if there is a problem look at all the people you need to get them out.

Man should know his limitations, and everytime I hear the letters ATV I cant help but vision a FAT thumb pushing the start button.

· Registered
480 Posts
Why would anyone take someone out with health problems, if there is a problem look at all the people you need to get them out.

Man should know his limitations, and everytime I hear the letters ATV I cant help but vision a FAT thumb pushing the start button.
I hunt with my Dad and uncles and they are getting old. I have learned more from them than anyone. If something happened I would do what I could to get them out but if they died in the woods everyone in my family would be fine with that. Most people use tools to help get animals out. I haven't used an ATV yet but I have used a pack board, rope, rope winch, cable, mule tape, game cart, and even an old wheel barrow. Can I still be a man and use those? Where is the line drawn? I might be lazy but I'm not fat. If we get a few large animals I will try to get them out the easiest way as long as its legal. Sorry to hijack... As soon as you mentioned quad I knew this would get ugly.

· Registered
3,736 Posts
I don't own one and don't have a problem with there legal use. What bothers Me is the use behind gates in walk in only areas. I don't bother walking into a gated area if I find a 4 wlr trail around the gate which is becoming way to often. Not enough inforcement and the solution is sometimes the total closing of areas.
Anyone caught using one in these areas should lose them in court.
Just My personal oppinion.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.