IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Administrator
119,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From our hero, Grant McOmie:
Thank your lucky stars that it is open to the public!

This morning I received the link below - it's a locally produced Beach Bill commemorative short that is a fine celebration of Oregon.

It showcases exactly what sets us apart from just about everywhere else in America.

It also has strong KGW ties, featuring Gov Tom McCall, (former News anchor) Jack McGowan (former KGW employee and SOLV Director) and
Grant's Getaway's Grant McOmie.

At some point, I will include it in our weekly half hour program of GG, but prolly not until fall.

It is really well done and I am impressed with the quality - more importantly, it is a fine learning tool: what I like to call a "teachable
moment through touchable history" that everyone who calls Oregon "home" should watch.

Congratulations to Nan Devlin of Tillamook Coast Travel and Sea Legs Media in Salem, Oregon for their production efforts.

Hope you enjoy!

·
Administrator
119,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I don't know if I remember the following story because of the experience itself, or from the repeated telling of the story... but I was seven years old when my Mom, my Dad, and my two brothers and two sisters were huddled around a big bonfire on the Oregon beach, roasting marshmallows and enjoying the Oregon Coast.
This alone was a treat, as living on my Dad's budget as a coach/athletic director didn't afford many vacations.
I DO remember his towering presence, but the experience was compounded from my Mother's excitement! The man that casually walked over to visit with us was someone very special!
It was Tom McCall!
He walked up to us asking if we were enjoying ourselves, like someone would ask "how's the weather?" So casual! - like he was no one special, but just another soul enjoying the evening!
I grew up with the distinct impression this man was larger than life because of that evening. My parents held him in honor like some would hold the likes of a much larger celebrity.
Tom McCall, thank you for the freedom to enjoy our Oregon Beaches and thank you for the honor of visiting with us!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts