IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
8,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I talked with my cousin last night. The one that was an OFC game officer for many years. Dudley is really into it.
He knows his stuff and has killed a few Blacktail Rattlin.

So I talked with him last night.

Forget it: The rut is over, The peak is the week of November 20th. Four days is the peak. Not to say you Can't rattle one it But ? For one thing if you are in the field everyday and see bucks you will notice their necks are getting smaller.

So any other opinions about this ?

I am thinking maybe more Doe Bleeps and less rattlin ??

I can't just quit hunting...the season aint over.

· Registered
5,132 Posts
I have always noticed that after Thanksgiving the "frenzy" seems to taper off...

The bucks are not out of rut..The does are out of estrus...Its the does that causes the frenzy...The bucks are still there and willing..Maybe a good time to use more scent and drag trails...

No matter if the rut is gone...The deer are still in the woods...Go after them!!!

· Registered
1,653 Posts
It just all depends on the area, but I would say that the rut is longer than 4 days, maybe more like 10 days IMO.

My budddy shot at and missed a very big 4pt on friday that had just bred a doe 3 times in front of him. This was in the Ashland area. Another buddy shot his whole quiver at 3 different bucks on Friday, this was west of Eugene. I think that they are still in the mood, maybe past the peak though.

The cascade bucks seem to rut at at least a week to two weeks later than the valley and coast bucks. I will be taking my brother and buddy up high this weekend looking for bucks and cows.

· Registered
606 Posts
Santiam338 I think you nailed it :smash: :smash:
I would think with less does left available to breed, the competition for the ones remaining would be fierce.

· Registered
17,248 Posts
I would agree with Santiam, the bucks started breeding Does back in the tail end of October, they have most of the Does bred by now and just a few "no takes" to re-do. Once the demand drops off, so does the rut. They say photo-period starts the rut, what role does it play ending it? Anybody seen anything on that?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.