IFish.net banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
30,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay, I imagine this is only for those who keep records. I was updating mine this evening. I have hunted blacktail deer for 31 years and have taken 26. Some years, of course, I was unsuccessful and some years I had and filled two tags.

Now it's your turn - - how many years have you hunted blacktails and how many have you taken?

Don

·
Registered
391 Posts
Ive killed 10 bucks in 9 years. two of which made B&C. the key for me has always been to fish for the first two or three weeks till hunting gets good, then go hunt. sometimes you get burnt out to early if you dont do that. oh and all had tags, i drew aditional deer three years ago

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
I've hunted Blacktails 40 years. Killed my first buck in 1967, my last buck in 2006. Only been a couple years in between when I didn't fill my tag.

Now, since 1984 I've been bowhunting them if that matters?

·
Banned
2,102 Posts
Alot of them!

I've hunted them since I was twelve. I did'nt take a buck my first year, but have taken at least one since and I'm now 35. Hunted the first year with and OLD lever action, open sighted 25-35 Win. Took my first buck with a vintage 50ish Winchester 220 Swift. I've taken bucks with a .243, a 270, 22-250, 7STW, 300 Ultra and one with bow.

·
Premium Member
30,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I didn't hunt until I was an adult. 'Took my first blacktail in 1973 - a nice 3-point. I've taken them with .308 Remington, 7mm.06, .45 Kentucky, and .308 Norma Magnum (way too much rifle - - 'just had to carry it a couple of years). Real hunters hunt blacktail deer. Don

·
Registered
837 Posts
You guys are great hunters, I almost don't want to fess up!

I am 0 for 10!

I took one shot at a spike about 7 years ago when I had an appropriate tag. I missed.

It is tough when you are teaching yourself and all you have for a reference is Boyd's book "Trophy Blacktail."

Eric

·
Registered
464 Posts
started when i was 14 - we used to hunt off hwy 30 when the willamette unit would go any deer for the month of november twelve total only three bucks with the bigest a 4x4 w/ eye guards taken within hearing distance of the hwy 26 - leaving today for Klamath Falls to try again for my first Muley :redface:

·
Registered
13,929 Posts
I moved here from Virginia five years ago. Hunted blacktails for three and killed all of them with a pistol. (I have no idea how many whitetails I killed back east since I use to do crop damage shooting for the state.) Gotta admit. Blacktail are different critters.....

·
Registered
12,161 Posts
I started hunting Mulies with my dad 31 years ago. Took a couple of them, then switched to "The Swamp" as my dad called it, when my work schedule forced me west. Off the top of my head, I'm at about 50%. Salmon & Ducks get in the way....Do we live in a great place or WHAT?

The last few years I have alternated between rifle & muzzleloader & my success is still about the same. I have 3, 4 points, 6-7, 3 points and a bunch of forks, including a big heavy fork last year with the .50 smokepole. Other than that it 30-06 or .300 H&H:smash:

FUN POST!!!

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
11-12 hunting white river unit, the bucks we see i consider a black/mule cross. Although i swear about 5yrs ago i spotted a 4 point buck that looked exactly like the whitetails i see on every hunting show.

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
I hear ya, Eric. I'm in the same boat (so to speak). Between his books, the one by Cameron Hanes and the one by John Higley - I learned most of what I 'know' hunting wise. Every year I am getting closer and closer. I am 2 for 7 for blacktail.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
I've been hunting blackies for the last 10 years and have shot 2. I think I am finally starting to get it. I hunted way too hard beating the brush. Now that I find nice area and sit, I've never seen more. Took me 3-4 years to get my first, last year I got a beauty 4 pt whose antlers are hanging on my wall. I've only seen another 4-5 legal bucks in all those years...

Going eastern this year. Time to see more deer!!

Rip'N'Lips

·
Registered
16,185 Posts
Gee, I haven't kept track. We mostly hunt east, but back in the good old days if I didn't get a buck east then we would hunt at home. Didn't need to do that very often though. Then when we couldn't draw tags and when I was a new hire with not enough vacation to go east.

First buck was a nice little 4pt., the biggest was a 5X4. I guess I should have kept a diary for blacktails like I did for bulls.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
This will be my first year hunting deer. I will start keeping record now! You all are inpirational. I hold tradition and honor in it's highest regard. I have read and learned from many ifish'ers. Thank you for sharing your life in the field experiences and your varied opinions! I have been an avid shooter (paper targets) since I was a boy. I have been reloading for handguns for 25 years. I upland hunt every year. I have never hunted big game. Tomorrow at o'dark 30 it begins:dance:

MORC

·
Registered
633 Posts
started hunting blacktails when I was twelve and killed a few as a teenager. things really clicked about twenty years ago and I have taken deer all but a few years. Six years ago I decided To only shoot bucks that were large 3 points or bigger. I have kept to that and have taken a buck each year since except last year when I missed the shot , but that is another story!

·
Registered
4,819 Posts
When I started hunting blacktails, me and my friend told ourselves we're only shooting "three point or better". Well, guess what? after about fifteen years of that I had 9 or 10 three points- I've still never killed a four point or a fork! Now I am at the end of a long lay-off of hunting big game and am getting back into it. I need to kill a few four points before I die and it's not going to happen while I'm sitting in a goose blind. Dave

1 - 20 of 30 Posts