IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Congratulations that’s an incredible buck

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
That tall and narrow rack looks like it would have done some mean, inside damage in a fight with another buck.
Sometimes a dominate buck like that will throw horn structure genetics. Might be some similar "up and coming" bucks.

·
Registered
678 Posts
I figured I would do a write up on my buck I was so fortunate to have even laid eyes on yet be able to put a tag on. As some of you may know I lost my Dad in September to Covid unfortunately and it’s made this fall and pretty much all hunting season pretty tough. I have been trying to make the most out of my seasons of hunting and just spending time outdoors.

I was blessed with filling my Willamette tag on a very nice forky and that one meant a lot as it was the first animal taken after my dads passing. So pretty emotional to say the least.

So fast forward to late season archery deer and I have been putting in tons of work trying to get blinds set up and checking trail cameras and so on. So Saturday came and I was up and heading to the blind at 6 am with hopes one of the couple shooters would show up.
As I sat there in the blind that morning I prayed to God and asked that my dad would bless me with an opportunity on filling my tag on a good buck. With no luck at the blind I headed home to get prepped for the evening hunt and to take care of my 3 year old son. As I knew the evening hunt was going to be harder as I had my little boy with me.

So we are at home hanging out when I get a phone call from a gentleman who tells me I had done work for his neighbor a few years ago. I was like ok and he says I have a buck up at my place that is being destructive and causing some issues for me. He then said I can’t seem to find someone that can help me with the issue. He had already called ODFW and then he had called a few other people he knew but they didn’t have time to help. At this moment I’m like what is going on. It then dawns on me where the property is located and I said I’m about an hour away but I can head there now. He said ok great I’ll keep an eye on the deer. I had no idea on the size of the buck or anything so I load the boy up and grab my stuff and away we go. We get there around an hour later and the gentleman walks out and says he’s up in the trees. So we walk up there to take a quick look and there this buck stands. I only saw a brief part of his rack and instantly said holy _ _ _ _. I ran back to the truck and grabbed my son and gear and snuck back up there. As my son and I sneak up the trees he my son proceeds to yell, “buck dad.” I quietly say I know we have to be quite. The buck was very preoccupied with other things and we were able to sneak in to 25 yards and one arrow through the pump house and within sight he fell. That’s when I got up there I realized the magnitude of how big he was. I honestly can’t explain why things happened the way the did but I know my dad had a hand in this one. If this wasn’t a big buck story then I don’t know what is.

I feel very blessed to have had this opportunity and being able to share it with my son who really has no idea what he got to be a part of. I hope you all enjoy the story. View attachment 967975
View attachment 967976
View attachment 967977
View attachment 967978

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Excellent Job! Buck of a lifetime..

·
Registered
78 Posts
Awesome story. Very sorry about your loss. I too lost my dad in September. September 1 actually. I came down with COVID this year, as did my mother and my father. Unfortunately, I was the only one to survive it. And I too had a beautiful delivery from heaven above. Maybe not the trophy you’ve got there but pretty nice. I was blessed with a dandy little five point bull right on my dad’s own property. I lost my best friend this year. Three in fact. But I know that he’s still with me. And I’ll bet your dad is just as proud of you as could be right now. Until we get to meet them again on the other side, I hope you can hold on to all the best memories of him. I hope you have an awesome relationship with your own son and you can share your love for your dad with him. Congratulations. And best wishes to you. And a Happy Thanksgiving to all.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Awesome story. Very sorry about your loss. I too lost my dad in September. September 1 actually. I came down with COVID this year, as did my mother and my father. Unfortunately, I was the only one to survive it. And I too had a beautiful delivery from heaven above. Maybe not the trophy you’ve got there but pretty nice. I was blessed with a dandy little five point bull right on my dad’s own property. I lost my best friend this year. Three in fact. But I know that he’s still with me. And I’ll bet your dad is just as proud of you as could be right now. Until we get to meet them again on the other side, I hope you can hold on to all the best memories of him. I hope you have an awesome relationship with your own son and you can share your love for your dad with him. Congratulations. And best wishes to you. And a Happy Thanksgiving to all.
The dang allergies are bad right now. Our dads probably met at the gate that day in September as my dad left on the 1st of September. Thank you for sharing your story. Happy Thanksgiving to you as well.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
What a beautiful Buck!! But it really is the trifecta with the Buck, your Dad's inspiration and your son is there to continue the family tradition. So sorry about your pops.
Best Wishes
Tiny!

·
Registered
5,509 Posts
Bux,had a feeling your buck had an injury ,sometimes on the opposite side of the freak Bones .This Guy had a hole three point side in his chest for several years ,and I know the little Buck that poked him😳
Wood Branch Twig Trunk Natural material

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Bux,had a feeling your buck had an injury ,sometimes on the opposite side of the freak Bones .This Guy had a hole three point side in his chest for several years ,and I know the little Buck that poked him View attachment 968654
No injuries on the opposite side that I could see. Though here are some photos from a lady who had been hunting him as well and these are from last year.
Nature Deer Horn Terrestrial animal Fawn

Head Vertebrate Plant Natural material Wood

21 - 39 of 39 Posts