IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I figured I would do a write up on my buck I was so fortunate to have even laid eyes on yet be able to put a tag on. As some of you may know I lost my Dad in September to Covid unfortunately and it’s made this fall and pretty much all hunting season pretty tough. I have been trying to make the most out of my seasons of hunting and just spending time outdoors.

I was blessed with filling my Willamette tag on a very nice forky and that one meant a lot as it was the first animal taken after my dads passing. So pretty emotional to say the least.

So fast forward to late season archery deer and I have been putting in tons of work trying to get blinds set up and checking trail cameras and so on. So Saturday came and I was up and heading to the blind at 6 am with hopes one of the couple shooters would show up.

As I sat there in the blind that morning I prayed to God and asked that my dad would bless me with an opportunity on filling my tag on a good buck. With no luck at the blind I headed home to get prepped for the evening hunt and to take care of my 3 year old son. As I knew the evening hunt was going to be harder as I had my little boy with me.

So we are at home hanging out when I get a phone call from a gentleman who tells me I had done work for his neighbor a few years ago. I was like ok and he says I have a buck up at my place that is being destructive and causing some issues for me. He then said I can’t seem to find someone that can help me with the issue. He had already called ODFW and then he had called a few other people he knew but they didn’t have time to help. At this moment I’m like what is going on. It then dawns on me where the property is located and I said I’m about an hour away but I can head there now. He said ok great I’ll keep an eye on the deer. I had no idea on the size of the buck or anything so I load the boy up and grab my stuff and away we go. We get there around an hour later and the gentleman walks out and says he’s up in the trees. So we walk up there to take a quick look and there this buck stands. I only saw a brief part of his rack and instantly said holy _ _ _ _. I ran back to the truck and grabbed my son and gear and snuck back up there. As my son and I sneak up the trees he my son proceeds to yell, “buck dad.” I quietly say I know we have to be quite. The buck was very preoccupied with other things and we were able to sneak in to 25 yards and one arrow through the pump house and within sight he fell. That’s when I got up there I realized the magnitude of how big he was. I honestly can’t explain why things happened the way the did but I know my dad had a hand in this one. If this wasn’t a big buck story then I don’t know what is.

I feel very blessed to have had this opportunity and being able to share it with my son who really has no idea what he got to be a part of. I hope you all enjoy the story.
Camouflage Military camouflage Hat Cap Grass

Outerwear Photograph Plant Smile Wheel

Plant Deer Grass Natural material Fawn

Plant Wood Terrestrial plant Trunk Vegetation

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
221 Posts
Wow, that's a stud! That's pretty cool that your boy was there to share that with you. His smile says it all.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That is a great buck with lots of cool stuff to see! Hopefully he bred alot of does in that area and you just gained a new hunting spot for u and the kiddo as he grows up!
Fingers crossed. I’m going to take them some pepperoni and summer sausage in hopes it wins them over and we can have access to the property.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What a toad! Well done. Just what kind of damage was the landowner referring to?
Broke through the garden fence and into orchard area as well. This was like the 5-6th time he said and he was over it. The buck was having an issue eating. When I gutted him I found an old wound like an antler puncture in his stomach that was trying to heal. His stomach and esophagus was full of fruits and vegetables.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Congrats on a spectacular Blacktail! Sorry for the loss of yer Dad. I damn near lost mine in January of this year to Covid. It is a miracle my Dad is still alive honestly and I'm blessed to have more time with him. I ended up getting Covid real bad myself in Late Sept. and spent 6 nights in the Hospital. Fortunately I'm doing better now, but Covid ate up my entire year for hunting season between deer and elk. Lungs were just not there yet to chase our coastal Rosies. Anyways.......glad you were able to get that big buck with yer son and I have no doubts that yer old man had a hand in it! Thanks for sharing this story!
CBTH

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Congrats on a spectacular Blacktail! Sorry for the loss of yer Dad. I damn near lost mine in January of this year to Covid. It is a miracle my Dad is still alive honestly and I'm blessed to have more time with him. I ended up getting Covid real bad myself in Late Sept. and spent 6 nights in the Hospital. Fortunately I'm doing better now, but Covid ate up my entire year for hunting season between deer and elk. Lungs were just not there yet to chase our coastal Rosies. Anyways.......glad you were able to get that big buck with yer son and I have no doubts that yer old man had a hand in it! Thanks for sharing this story!
CBTH
Thank you. I’m happy to hear that your doing better.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
How cool, with your little guy there to boot. That's things coming full circle right there. Sorry to hear about your Dad, but congrats on a very cool experience that you will obviously never forget.

·
Registered
15 Posts
That is a great story! One you will tell over and over. Sorry to hear about you dad, I lost mine this year as well.
The buck is beautiful! You could pull a front tooth and send it to ODFW to age. I wish I had done that with my last two bucks. I think they will send back a report of age and general heath information.
Congratulations!

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
CONGRATULATIONS to you and your son. There really is something to hunting after dad's passing.
I've told this story before: It was the day after my dad's funeral. I was home on bereavement leave. I couldn't think of a better place to greive than the duck swamp. It was cold, icy, rainy and windy. I was standing in knee deep water when a drake Mallard dropped in. I shot him. When I picked him up, he was banded. My first band in over 40 years of waterfowling. I said, "thanks dad", outloud.
I feel your joy/pain.
CONGRATULATIONS again on a true trophy/memory of a lifetime.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
CONGRATULATIONS to you and your son. There really is something to hunting after dad's passing.
I've told this story before: It was the day after my dad's funeral. I was home on bereavement leave. I couldn't think of a better place to greive than the duck swamp. It was cold, icy, rainy and windy. I was standing in knee deep water when a drake Mallard dropped in. I shot him. When I picked him up, he was banded. My first band in over 40 years of waterfowling. I said, "thanks dad", outloud.
I feel your joy/pain.
That’s an awesome story. We never understand why things happen the way that they do but I sure welcome anything he wants to send my way with open arms.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I feel your joy/pain.
Thank you so much! How can one not believe when something so apparent like that happens. That .270 will be going out again next year 😁

1 - 20 of 39 Posts