IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you guys prefer to use to glass with while hunting, Binos or a spotting scope and why?

·
Registered
419 Posts
Binos. Glass out the easy stuff then switch to a spotter for more detail, if I have it with me. Disclaimer; binos are ALWAYS on me in my chest harness and the spotter is seldom in my pack. Where I inevitably find myself hunting (archery), my 10x42’s are plenty capable to spot what I need spotted. The spotter is fun for scouting and just watching critters do critter things.

·
Registered
Salt water addict
4,261 Posts
I have both and use a good set of glass in a 10x42 over a spotter. 15x would be great for bigger open country in my opinion, but the 10x do great. I too exclusively archery hunt.
(My opinion is based on Swarovski glass)

·
Registered
763 Posts
I use both. Binos for the first for picking the area apart. Spotting scope the second for picking apart each bush, tall patch of grass, stump, shadow, etc.

·
Registered
9,629 Posts
Both. However, if I could have only one, it would be binoculars. Binoculars are no match for a spotting scope of equivalent quality at long distance.

·
Registered
41 Posts
10x42 Binos on a tripod with a universal strap mount. This style doesn’t require the annoying aluminum piece that can be in the way when the binos are not on a tripod. You can also strap it to the butt of your rifle for rear stabilization off your tripod. Feels like cheating…

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
I mostly use my binos for my stuff in Oregon. Although when I get into the big country I like a spotter. A few hunts in Montana this past year, and I wish I had my spotter with me.

·
Registered
6,960 Posts
Binos ON A TRIPOD. I only use a spotter to verify something or after I’ve seen something and need to see more detail, but rarely ever use or pack one. A tripod is more important hands down.

I have 15x SIG Zulu9’s, slik tripod and manfrotto fluid head with a universal strap bino holder as mentioned above. Way easier than the screw in ones. 12x binos are my minimum, 10x’s work of course.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I have used a lot of different combinations of spotters and binos, and still haven’t found my ideal system. Big eye binos are great, but you still need 8-10x and can fall short on magnification at long distance. On the other hand, squinting with 1 eye through a spotter gives me a headache.

I think binos in general are much more versatile than a spotter, even though I would be lost without my spotter when doing anything other than still hunting through dark timber. For me, the binos on a tripod cover the initial and/or close view, and can also see animals that are moving or out in the open from farther away than you would think. The spotter covers long distance and picking apart closer cover, primarily looking for bedded deer. FWIW, I found a lot of deer this year with a spotter in areas that I had already covered with 12x binos on a tripod.

What power binos is a whole nother question…. If I could only get 1 set, I would do 10x and look into some optical doublers if the glass was good enough to handle it. If you can get 2 and hunt a lot of timber, I would go with 8x and 15x. If you hunt a lot of open country, 10x and a spotter.

For an adapter, I used the outdoorsman stud and adapter this year and loved it.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I use both. Binos for the first for picking the area apart. Spotting scope the second for picking apart each bush, tall patch of grass, stump, shadow, etc.
I have used both, especially when I'm hunting country where you might be looking long distances. But the key to both items is to have the best glass you can get. The difference between a good Dall ram and a trophy Dall ram is about 4 inches more length of horn. And if you're looking from 1/2 or a full mile away, you will need great glass to tell the difference. (No, I wouldn't try to shoot from 1/2 mile, but I would want to know if I'm going to want to climb that mountain after him).

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Always have binos. Usually have a tripod with Outdoorsman's adaptor. I carry my spotter a lot. I always have it in open country.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
91 Posts
Bino’s on a tripod is a must. I like the outdoorsman adapter. I almost alway carry a spotter, but only use it once I spot something to verify or size it up.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
I utilize my binos the best I can, free hand standing, sitting and then if I have time, I place on a tri-pod. Run 10x42 for hunting and 12x50 when I'm in the big country and shed season. To get more detailed, I pull out my spotter for validation and also to assist in shooting when necessary.

Those new stabilizer 17x power binos are really neat to look through!

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
I switched to all bino this year...got rid of the spotter. 12x50 binos. Wondering if I should have bought 15x50, though...

I did buy a tripod with a mount...makes glassing real easy and quick...less I strain, too.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Bino's on a tripod is a game changer. 12x50 with the outdoorsman adapter. Spotter is usually in my pack but it is the first thing to go if I need to save weight.

·
Brood stock
6,339 Posts
Great glass + crappy tripod = crappy glass

I invested in some Leupold BX5 Santiam 10x42’s, found a cheap tripod and thought I was set. Wrong! If you can’t pan and tilt smoothly, the tripod does no good. Planning on adding a good tripod and head before spring bear season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I run 10X42's they never ever ever get left behind. I also carry my spotting scope 95% of the time when I'm rifle hunting. For the way I usually hunt neither could be sufficiently replaced by the other. If I had to choose only one, without a tic of indecision I would take the Bino's. As others have mentioned a tri-pod is incredibly helpful in glassing up critters.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I switched to all bino this year...got rid of the spotter. 12x50 binos. Wondering if I should have bought 15x50, though...
It’s kind of funny…I am heading the opposite way. I used 15x binos for years, which are awesome BTW, but I still needed the spotter for long range and a set of 10x to use free hand and on stalks. Got tired of lugging 3 pieces of glass, so I just used a spotter and 12x last year. I was hoping that 12x would be a good compromise, but it didn’t work out that way for me and will likely just use 10x and a spotter next year.
So many options, and no one right answer!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts