IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

· Registered
6,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Fellow ifisher, TorreyHunter and his brother in law were gracious enough to let the Faith in the Field "film crew" tag along on their once in a lifetime sheep hunt, and boy was it ever a once in a lifetime experience!

Below are several video stills from the hunt, so the image quality isn't nearly as great as the actual footage, but I hope you can sense the excitement of our hunt and look forward to seeing it in real time once the DVD comes out.

Three scouting trips and an early arrival for the hunt paid off...we watched a large band of rams several miles away on Friday night, anticipating the opener...

After spotting a couple small rams in the area we'd seen sheep the night before, we decided to get a closer look, hoping more would be near by. As we closed the distance, here's what we glanced back to find behind us... :doh:

We stuck with the plan, and closed the distance on the small rams who gave us quite the time to get some great video from a very close distance, but their daddy's and grand daddy's were nowhere to be seen...

Soon after, we spotted a great ram a mile away...definitely worth a closer look, but in the time it took us to get around, he eluded us...

Later that evening we still hunted above the rimrock where the two we had spooked earlier in the day went. It wasn't long before we bumped yet another twosome that came up from the ravine, but he wasn't an opening day ram...

Day two was perfect from the start...

Eager to try and locate the bedded ram from 3 pictures above, we found ourselves in the same area on the second morning of our hunt. Stepping up to get some wild horse footage, I was startled by this fella not 75 yards below me...

After spotting yet another small ram in the distance, we decided to get a closer look yet again, hoping to find more sheep with him...yet again. We approached the edge he was on a found nothing...but some 5 minutes later, my heart skipped a beat when the binoculars stumbled onto this...

They were some 400+ yards away, but with our rangefinder giving us fits, we didn't get too excited about taking a long shot at an unknown distance...at seemingly unspooked rams. Knowing they weren't in any hurry, we had a stareoff for several minutes before they eased away. 4 rams in all if you look closely...

It was game on at that point...we eased back up above the rimrock and pushed to get ahead of them. 20 minutes later, we saw the white glow of a ram's backside over an edge just ahead...we'd found them much further along than we'd anticipated...not 30 seconds from eluding us for good! We hurried to the edge, still 20 yards ahead...

As I set the camera up just behind the shooter, camera two trailed the action...once set up, the range finder hit 300 yards on some sage a few yards shy of the rams...

A combination of quick action and sun glare didn't allow me to zoom in tight for the first shot which sent the rams back toward the canyon...they stopped and grouped again after a 50 yard bolt, and the second shot struck gold shortly after this frame...

:thisbig: ram down...........

Now you have to understand a small part of the story here...the bigger ram was in the lead when they'd left ealier, and the action happened so quickly, we didn't have time to judge the rams once we caught up to them, Torrey simply took the lead ram based on what we'd seen close to a mile ealier! After we put our ram down, here's what we saw across the ravine with two others...

So needless to say, we were all VERY anxious to see which ram we'd got...here's the expression of us all on approach...the video of this is priceless...

Here's the crew...myself, Torrey, his brother in law Mark and "Davey boy" :)

Some still camera pics...not sure what he'll go for score yet...his left horn is 36 1/2", the right was a couple shy of that. The estimates are nearing 170, which is a VERY good California bighorn.

Saying goodbye to the hunt of a lifetime...what a memory. The Lord is good.

· Registered
3,423 Posts
WOW is about all I can say - that is a really really nice ram:thisbig:

Great pictures- congrats to all on a hunt of a lifetime, great post thank you!!!!!!!

Some day I hope to do that

· Registered
17,245 Posts
Wow, that indeed is a hunt of a life time.

· Registered
8,842 Posts
Congrats! Thanks so much for the trip down "I'm Jealous Lane"

Great job men!:applause::applause:

BU

· Registered
7,773 Posts
Awesome! :applause:

Seems to really carry the mass a long way around the curve; very nice ram :)

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.