IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, after reading the "Biggest steelhead"post, I realized that, of course, they were all natives
, and a few pictures.

SOooo,
with that in mind...

Post your picture of your
BIGGEST HATCHERY STEELHEAD
...that way we will know the weights and get to see more pictures.

[ 10-29-2003, 01:40 PM: Message edited by: Sublime ]

·
Premium Member
6,233 Posts
Not all of the reports listed on the "biggest" thread are for natives. Mine was hatchery, with not one but two fins clipped. The photos that I have are pre-digital days. But, anyway. My biggest steelhead was hatchery and weighed just over 21 lbs. Caught on a blue pirate hot shot.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Mine was a 18.5lb buck caught @ blue creek on the cowlitz back in late "93" or early "94".I doubled out with an 18.5 buck and a 14lb hen in 20 minutes.Those were the day's.Good luck,
STRIKE ZONE

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
That 27 pound fish I whacked back in 1996 on the Quinault may, or may not be a native fish.

The Quinaults didn't clip their big hatchery broodstock fish back then. It's very common these days to see clipped Quinault fish in the low 30's, from January to March.

I'm guessing it was a hatchery fish, but since I didn't really check back then, no way to really know. You really can't tell fin quality from the photo.

I have fished it every year since 1996 and have only personally seen 1-2 fish that I can say that were 100% native. Most gorgeous fish I've ever seen. Most of the fish on the Quinault are hatchery, and look like it, even if they don't have a clipped fin.

I got a nice 18 pound hen last year on the Quinault, unclipped, that I know was hatchery fish.

My fishing buddy pulled out a 21 pound clipped boot-buck out of the Quinault a couple years back. Why he kept it, I still dunno.

Clipped, I think my biggest would be 16 or so. I've caught several clipped in this class.

Too many to keep track of! :wink:

·
Registered
3,437 Posts
38 inch, 19 3/4 girth buck on Three Rivers. got it on a pink pearl corky. No weight for you cuz it went back in, a little too red for me. :dance:

·
Registered
821 Posts
WOW :shocked:
Nice fish Grant, gonna have to have you take me down the Moonshine run sometime this winter and teach me a lesson.
Tim

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
That's one pretty fisn, ******. Nuthin' like a chromer summer fish.

I see Grant has him quite a specimen there too. :bowdown:

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
This large buck was caught on the SF of the Coquille a couple years back.
The water level was very low that year... I thinkit fell for a red puff ball!

It weighed just under 20#

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
I hadn't looked at that picture in a while.. boy that fish had shoulders!

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
19 lber. on Eagle Creek in 1990...37inches long and 20 inch girth. Caught on my Eagle Creek special. :dance: :dance:

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Nice Fish Grant :cheers: .... Count me in on a Twin to town trip...Woohoo

17lb bigest in boat...14lb my biggest Both broodstock fish.

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
No photo, but I caught a 37" hatchery buck on the East Fork Coquille.

I swear to God after I landed that fish he ACTIVELY tried to snap at my hand as I took the hook out.

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
C-lice,

I'm laughing........thinking of your fish and a thread over on LIG.

"Come back here you coward, I'll bite your kneecaps (in your case, fingertips) off!!" :shocked:

·
Registered
922 Posts
15# Washougal river summer 2003. Same night had a bigger one on I never got in any closer than a bout 30 feet.

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
Actually Dan I think the fish in question may have been the Black Knight (except he was in pretty good shape). He'd had a near miss with a sea loin and his anal fin was about 3/4 torn off, just dangling.

"You've got no (fins) left!"
"Yes I have!"

1 - 20 of 24 Posts