IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new Trophy arrived today :grin: , but the Fulton kicker motor lock I bought won't fit over the screw tabs. The last thing I need is some dirtbag stealing my kicker. Anyone with a Merc 9.9 Bigfoot have any suggestions(other than get a big dog)?

Thanks,
Burner

·
Registered
3,796 Posts
Thick vinyl covered cable padlocked to the outboard retention eye hole and looped through the rail and/or ski-rope eye will keep the thieves away and offer backup against motor loss if it bolts ever vibrate loose or the kicker mount comes off the boat.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Had such a frustrating time trying to find a lock for mine that wouldn't interfere with the tilt and trim and would allow the kicker mount to go up and down without mashing a finger. A commercial fisherman at Englunds suggested using 5/16" stainless steel bolts with lock nuts and bolting the kicker to the mount. Works for me,,,,,,,,not quite as secure as a lock, but would slow a thief down a lot, and makes the motor and bracket a solid unit. 4 bolts seem pretty inadequate, but it takes me about 15 minutes to get a wrench and ratchet, and remove all 4 . Without the proper tools, it would take a heckuva lot longer.

·
Administrator
41,361 Posts
A buddy of mine bolts his main and kicker to the transom of his sled, but get this - he has the nuts spotwelded to the bolts! There aren't many casual theives who can cut 1/2 inch steel bolts off, which is what he has to do to remove either motor. Pretty secure but part of the price is convenience.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Pete has the answer. You may also check into the locking nuts you can buy and bolt to the transom using the locking nuts. One of my buddys in puget sound anglers was telling me how his was stolen. He had one of boxes that covers the handles and locks. He watched the whole thing from his kitchen window while on the phone with the police. They told him not to go out. He sees the guy grab some kind of a cutoff tool and he cuts right threw the middle of it and steal his motor. The guy drives off and the police are waiting around the corner on the road. Wrong road the guy took the other road and go away.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Bolted mine also. Took a chisel,knocked threads off and dinged the bolt. and it works probably as good as welding.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Burner,
I have a bigfoot on my 19' Osprey. I have the fulton lock and it fits fine on it. I have to put it upside down as my configuratio won't allow the key to be used in the right position though. I will look at it tonight and post back. I seem to remember that the tabs on the motor have to be facing a certain way. I do not remember if they both face inwards or both in the same direction. Mine is bolted to the transom as well but I love having it locked also.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the input. I managed to get it on upside down, hope the saltwater doesn't ruin the lock :depressed: . Slugranch, what type of mount are you using? I would have to drill through the lift frame behind the pad on mine(Garelick offshore) to get bolts in. Does this weeken the support structure at all? It would be nice to have the added protection against the motor falling off, but not if it significantly weakens the bracket as a whole.

·
Registered
186 Posts
When i picked up my new Intruder i had a 9.9
Bigfoot put on Stevens marine sell's a lock
thats theft proof no way to get to it to cut
it off check it out you will like it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts