IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was finally able to do a little fishing today, after over a month of not fishing. So I went over to Big Cliff Reservoir this afternoon after my chores were done. They were lowering it when I got there, it was dropping about an inch every ten minutes when I got there. Normally, that puts the bite off. I was bummed. No trout bit, but I did get a couple of nice whitefish. One of them was 18 inches long! Interesting enough, they hit a black triple teaser. Supposedly they get much bigger there, but this was the biggest I've seen.

happybrew

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
They are a little oily, but taste great when smoked.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Good Job... :cheers: Shows that flexibility pays off

·
Registered
16,552 Posts
Hey HB! Didn`t notice any steelie`s below Big cliff didja? Little Sweden area is sometimes nice for them this time of year. Fishft.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Whitefish are great smoked, just chunck them and do them the same as salmon and steelhead. Alot of places they don't count in the limit so it's a good oppertunity to come home with more fish for the smoker.

Aufish101

·
Registered
3,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally posted by ScottyV:
Aren't those real bland and nasty to eat? They are plentiful in the upper clack.
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">Not really. It's a little like a cross between a trout and a catfish as far as flavor goes.

happybrew

·
Registered
3,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Originally posted by Fishfeet:
Hey HB! Didn`t notice any steelie`s below Big cliff didja? Little Sweden area is sometimes nice for them this time of year. Fishft.
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">I didn't look. I didn't know they got past the hatchery. I'll have to try it out. I did try Minto Park for steelhead on my way back, and the spawning salmon were thick. I went to a spot where I didn't see many of them, and tried to cast out in the deeper water to avoid the salmon, but I still ended up with a really nasty buck. I let him keep the spinner, and went home. Didn't feel like bugging them unintentionally during a "romantic moment".

happybrew

·
Registered
16,552 Posts
Hey HB! Last time I looked, there was just a fish trap down by Gates, no hatchery. But they used to let a lot of the hatchery raised SH go on up from there. It`s been a few years since I fished it , but there were some nice bright ones to be caught on lures of all types at this time of year or later. Try Steelies or some gold Thomas bouyants. There are some big deep holes to hit up there w/ lots of big boulders. Might try it myself this weekend since I`ll be in the Stayton area. Anyway Good luck! Fishft.

·
Registered
327 Posts
thats real unusual I used to fish there alot when i lived in salem and caught alot... of trout but never a whitefish... P.S I hear they are lousy eating.... :blush: :sick:

·
Registered
3,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Originally posted by Fishfeet:
Hey HB! Last time I looked, there was just a fish trap down by Gates, no hatchery. But they used to let a lot of the hatchery raised SH go on up from there. It`s been a few years since I fished it , but there were some nice bright ones to be caught on lures of all types at this time of year or later. Try Steelies or some gold Thomas bouyants. There are some big deep holes to hit up there w/ lots of big boulders. Might try it myself this weekend since I`ll be in the Stayton area. Anyway Good luck! Fishft.
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">From ODFW

You're right, it's not a hatchery, it's a "facility", the Minto Salmon Facility. They spawn salmon and steelhead there, raise them at Marion Forks hatchery up the road.

happybrew

1 - 14 of 14 Posts