IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How soon will the big fish move into the rivers or bay areas? Our boat is really not big enough for the Columbia or Ocean waters. We are thinking of heading to the Snake for some Catfish, does anyone know the water levels?

·
Registered
740 Posts
I really had to watch what I was doing, but I fished a 14' with a 15hp on the entire Columbia system and bays when I was younger. I never tried crossing any bars or had it out in very windy conditions though.

Get yourself a good anchor and bouy and keep your life jacket close by- you'll be fine.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Don't sell your little boat to short. Not sure what you have but let me explain. :shrug:

I personally utilize a 15 ft Alaskan Pro with an 18 horse motor and run all over the Columbia, Willamette and out to the mouth of jetties at Tillamook and Yaquina. I have also fished Bonneville in my little "Dingy" This Alaska Pro can take 3-4ft swells with no problems. I have been amazed at how well it handles troubled waters. :shocked:

Suggestions: Alway wear life jacket(s), put in as close to fishing hole as possible. Hug the sides, only cross the river quickly when absolutely necessary. Buddy up with other Ifish.net dudes\dudettes so they keep an eye out for you.
Last but not least, let common sense prevail. Have a plan, think things thru ahead of time, be prepared. (Example, If it get's to rough pull over to the side, take a break, wait!!!)

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
I fished a 14 ft .Gregor with a 15hp. for ten years, with kids . Can get you into some great fishing on he Columbia , must watch the ship wakes and big winds . id. painter

·
Registered
412 Posts
Do yourself a favor and buy a handheld VHF radio. Don't count on other boats to help you if you get in trouble. I've pulled two (dead motor)boats away from the T-bay jetty and had people try to troll between me and and the boat I was towing. For some reason, people are more willing to help if they hear you calling the Coast Guard on the VHF. HJ

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
Heck I have seen a 14ft with an hp 8 miles out on the ocean.. I wouldn't advise it.. but I have seen it.
d

1 - 8 of 8 Posts