IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Administrator
119,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The hearing today was great. It was fun to be a part of the caravan, and I was impressed by the amount of letters, signed, and submitted to ifish, and given to Jerry to take in to the hearing.
Thanks, to all!

This in, from Norm Ritchie, regarding today's hearing:

It's hard for me to express how pleased I am with all the Steelheader chapter support in Salem today for the ODFW budget and to (again) save our hatcheries. I felt a great sense of pride as each chapter that gave testimony detailed their contribution to our fisheries and habitat and how important the budget was to each facet of all we do. Other chapters made their presence known without testimony.

We were part of a great coalition thrown together by a shared concern. The Northwest Sportfishing Industry Association, represented by two of our honorary directors, Liz Hamilton & Jim Martin, did a great job of emphasizing the economic impact of the consumptive fisheries hatcheries provide. Tillamook Anglers arranged a boat rally (in which the Steelheaders participated) and presented about 20 pounds (a really big stack) of signed petitions demanding funding of our hatcheries. Tillamook Guides Association pointed out how the economic impact is especially important to depressed rural areas of the state. Oregon Guides and Packers and just about anyone else involved in fishing and hunting expressed support for the "co-chair" budget proposal with house bill 2260 for the license fee increase and expressed opposition for the governor's proposal.

The major exceptions were Oregon Trout, Native Fish Society, and Trout Unlimited who expressed a preference for the governor's proposal, sacrificing $5,000,000 of general funds in their effort to close hatcheries.

I don't know what the outcome will be but I came away feeling we all did a good job of making our point to this legislative committee. I also had the feeling they were not too excited about the governor's proposed budget either.

It is not too late for your emails and letters to your legislators on this committee. Here are their email addresses (provided by Scott Kappes) .
[email protected] <mailto:[email protected]>,
[email protected] <mailto:[email protected]>
[email protected] <mailto:[email protected]>,

Thanks again to all of you who participated. You done good!

Norman E. Ritchie, President
Association of Northwest Steelheaders
2834 SE 166th Ave.
Portland, OR 97236-1861
Home: 503-760-5551, Cell: 503-807-7729
email: [email protected]

1 - 1 of 1 Posts