IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Big \'ol Hearty Thanks to Bait o\' Eggs (pics)

I just finished my first rod for my wife to use as a bass/trout spinning rod. BOE helped me pick out the Rainshadow blank and grip, put together a kit of all the stuff I needed, then reamed the grip for me to fit the blank. What a great deal from a great guy. Now I think I need a new steelhead rod...hmmmmm...

The thread colors are a little brighter than the pics, but the lower resolution setting on my camera makes them look darker. They are maroon and navy blue with no color preserver.

There are some small waves in this part of the finish, but not too noticeable... :rolleyes:

The guides turned out pretty good. At least I won't tell you where the imperfections are... :tongue:

NowI think I need a new steelhead rod... hmmmmm... Thanks again Roy!!! :cheers:

[ 07-08-2003, 09:21 PM: Message edited by: Tempered Steel ]

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Re: Big \'ol Hearty Thanks to Bait o\' Eggs (pics)

Hi Tempered Steel,
Welcome to the wonderful world of rod building. It sure is fun to put your own color schemes and patterns and decorations together. I have built 3 so far with 2 still to go. Becareful it is addicting too. :cool: :dance: :grin:

:smile: Smily :smile:

·
Registered
10,068 Posts

Here is my first attempt with a Rainshadow 1201 under the guidance of BOE, picture taken before coating. Already has 12 fish in under 2 months. Great teacher and an addictive hobby! :grin:

·
Registered
331 Posts

Great hobby, and nice rods. Looks like BOE is a good teacher.

I made three Lami rods myself years ago. Great fun, but I didn't have a teacher. I just sort of made things up as I went. My rods turned out good enough, and all three have served me well for over 20 years. You guys both did great work though.

I tried a wrap similar to yours on my rods Tilla - except I went with blue and white thread. I like the blue and white color scheme I chose, but you did a better wrap job than I did. Excellent work Tilla. You too Tempered Steel.
You both did great work. And good work BOE. :cheers: You taught them well.

·
Flatlander
7,595 Posts

BOE the candy man strikes again...

Great rods, looks like a good effort was put into them. it is very rewarding hobby and extremely so when you start catching fish on your own rods.

In the future try color preserver, thread has a metalic property in it and that reflective property goes away when you don't treat it. Sun shows the best result.

check out rodbuilder for more information.

gus

·
Registered
10,068 Posts

Can't see any of the fancy work anyway though the egg scum layer. :hoboy: :wink:

·
Registered
331 Posts

Tilla, :laugh: true but great work anyway!

·
Registered
13,282 Posts

Nice looking work guys, :cheers:

·
Registered
12,182 Posts

Welcome to the world of rod building! I've buit about 13 or so over the years. It's great to have a rod with just the right action and feel. The last rod I built was a 5-6 wt. fly rod.
I really wanted to impress my girlfriend.
Even put her name in gold near the base. She loves that rod, and I obviously impressed her enough to marry me! :grin:
GBS

1 - 9 of 9 Posts