IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, the plan was to hit Buoy 10 first thing on the incoming and move in later in the day to fish the channel with two seasoned friends, Mark & Brian. Plans change.
We got to buoy 10 at 6 am and started trolling some fresh cut plug herring with a few others. Lots of waves because of all the boats speeding by us heading for the ocean. We spent a couple hours with no action anywhere. Listened to the VHF and constant reports of flat bar and good ocean and lots of fish. Started seeing boats coming in at 8:30 with limits and couldn't resist. Had all the right equipment and felt good about it, so went.
Now, should the rest of this post be on the Pilar's Salty Dogs page?
Got to Buoy 2 and put the lines in (after pinching down the barbs). 10 minutes, two fish on, one bonk :grin: Man were these fish aggressive, we couldn't keep bait on our hooks. Overall, probably 1 fish for every 10 massive bites. Next fish is big and comes to the boat pretty quick, Brian working the pole. We see this massive slab of a fish, she sees us, and away she went. This went on for quite a while, get it in, and away it goes. Finally get it in the net and pop, the leader breaks :shocked: This nook went 34 lbs.

Well, back to fishing. Lots more bites, fish, releases, bonks. At one shy of a limit, we have two poles in and getting the third put out. The fish flash and herring were on the surface to be put on the downrigger and this coho just starts slamming the herring like a shark. Doesn't hook itself and we're trying to get this thing on when another rod goes off. Switch poles so the last guy can reel it in and the fish takes off across the other line. Well, third line is bouncing, but it's another fish :shrug: Bringing in two poles, trying to figure out which one to keep, see one without the fin, chinese fire drill on poles, and get it in the net...bonk. In three hours, we have our limits (thanks to the party rule).

Tips & techniques:
Well, I will tell all. Fished between the CR buoy and Buoy 2, fish everywhere. Depth: 2 inches to 25 feet. Flasher - any. Bait - fresh cut plug herring. Diver, dropper & downriggers. I think just about anything would have worked :smile: . We did have one problem with our gear. Had bought some pre-tied slip mooching rigs, G******* brand, and they were not good. Slip was too slippy, a couple came untied, one broke. Heard someone else had problems with these also. They worked great for me last year :shrug: Will tie my own.
We all agreed this day has to go down as one awesome day. I've been fishing salmon for one year now and that's the biggest nook in my boat, what a beaut. Weather was fantastic. I wish all of you this type of day, they happen :cheers:

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Fi****is, great trip and story, well done and thanks for letting some of us flatlanders know that all we have to do it get out of bed and go fishing.

WE did almost as well out of Depoe Bay yesterday. Coho, a chinook and a limit of Sea Bass and ling cods. What a haul for the three of us.

After your post, guess it is time to start fishing the CR. It's always great to see the pictures but I cannot post as I don't have the skill.

*Fish only bite wet hooks*

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
Good job, good story, nice fishing :smile:

I don't like to use slip tie mooching rigs, they have a chance of costing a person fish.

If I do have to use one I tie my own. Try this if you are going to tie your own-

use unwaxed dental floss for the top hook, it can be a little harder to work with since it' limp but it will not nick up or burn the mono when it slides. Use lots of wraps when you tie it so it's firm. Also, if you use it on more than one or two fish it will be no good.

There's still a chance of a big chinook sliding down the top hook and breaking off the bottom hook and coming off. To help avoid that use 40# leader. Those fish are not line shy.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Very envious. Loved the story and the photos. Can we even say "Better Luck next time?" :cheers:

·
Registered
11,223 Posts
Great report and congratulations on your biggest "so far"

:cheers:

·
Registered
216 Posts
Nice fish and story keep them coming. If I can't go fishing because of work at least I can hear about it.

SL

·
Registered
23,401 Posts
:bowdown: Great fishing trip and story. :cheers:

·
Registered
34 Posts
That is one nice fish.

We had a day almost identical to you. Went out to Buoy 10 and decided to keep going. Had my dad and son with me. We dropped in at Buoy 2 and my son had a fish on (his first salmon ever) within 2 minutes.

The bite was very aggressive. We had two doubles, and three different times got hit, or hooked up right at the boat while waiting to go out. All told we boated 10 fish - 5 natives and 5 keepers in about 2 and a half hours out. Could have got the last keeper, but we ran out of time. Had a lot more bites and hook-ups that we didn't land too.

We fished whole herring and anchovies, behind divers and weights at 14 to 20 pulls. Two of us had flashers and one didn't. It didn't seem to matter, we all got about the same action. We trolled from Bouy 2 to the CR and hit fish pretty much the whole way.

[ 08-11-2003, 10:37 AM: Message edited by: shoulda ]

·
Registered
720 Posts
Nice feesh!!!
That nooks huge!!! :shocked: I caught one like that bottom fishing once and had to let it go because we already limited out on silvers. :mad: You got sme dandy fillets off that bad boy. :dance: :bowdown: :cheers: :grin:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts