IFish.net banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Administrator
119,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stan Fagerstrom has invited Bill and I to stay at the Big K Ranch on the Umpqua tomorrow night, and then fish for smallmouth and shad the next day.
I am so excited!
Has anyone ever done this? Either stayed at the ranch, or fished the Umpqua for shad and smallies?
Did I tell you I was excited? :smile:

I will be gone, starting tomorrow morning, until the next evening. I have invited Shane to come stay with the boys. He can fly fish and eat all the frozen pizzas and cookies I have here!

Anyway, talk to me, someone! What is it like there? What kind of clothes should I bring? I'll have to look up the weather forecast.

I guess the guide is supplying all the gear, but is there something special I should take, gear wise? I asked about bringing my fly gear, but this guy wants to fish light spinning tackle. I kind of had my heart set on flies, but this will be fun, too!

Hmmmmm lesseeee.... anyone have any tips or suggestions?

OK, get ahold of yourself, girl... I'm just getting way too excited. I know who won't be sleeping tonight!

IS IT TIME YET????

Oh yeah, Here is an article Stan wrote about the Big K!

:smile: :smile: :smile:

Jen

[ 06-15-2003, 02:41 PM: Message edited by: [email protected] ]

·
Administrator
119,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You said it wrong.

"You guys all have fun now, ya hear?"

·
Registered
641 Posts
I just spoke to Portlandfisher, he got back from the Umpqua near Elkton a few hours ago. He said the water was low and the Shad were mostly done.....but he said they killed the bass.

Have fun. Sounds like everyone else on IFISH will be up at Cedar Creek with Brian. :wink: :laugh: :laugh:

·
Banned
8,921 Posts
Your timing is PERFECT! The big-un's should be up in the river by now, and it's warm enough that the smallies will be on the prowl. Expect a 100-fish day.

Flyfishing for shad is a challenge, but doable. They like faster water and they stay near the bottom, so the challenge is to get your fly down to them. I've used a Teeny sink-tip with some success, but have done best with a length of lead core between flyline and leader. At that point you're no longer flycasting, you're stripping out some line and launching your offering across the current and letting it settle. Most of your hits will be at the bottom of your drift. But I'll tell you, a shad on a 5-wt is a real hoot.

I use a pink and white fly, as well as chartreuse and white. If you can get either color down to them, better get ready to hang on.

But be careful. It's addicting.

Skein

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
that sounds like it will be a blast Good Luck :cheers:

S

·
0 Posts
Pizza and cookies!!!!! Sure you and Bill can't stay a few more days? :dance:

[ 06-15-2003, 04:14 PM: Message edited by: Stew ]

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Jennie,

Be prepared for a great time. I have never stayed at the Big K, but the fishing is awesome. I love to float the Umpqua for smallies. Take your ultralight gear and have fun.

If you go back again in the future, please let me know. I hand pour my own bass and steelhead worms. I have some proven killers for the Umpqua. I would be happy to lend you some to try.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Jenny, don't let them discourage you from bringing your fly rod down to the Umpqua for smallmouth. I spent two days along the Big K Ranch section last fall and did excellent fishing hoppers on the surface, though mid June's a little early for that. I have done fine this time of year with a floating line using standard dark wooly buggers and bead head nymphs. Several of the guides at the Big K avidly fish flies for those bass and they have a good selection at Ranch HQ. Bring your flyrod and bug em for a little more information. It's a beautiful stretch of lazy river. Have a ball.
Chris

·
Banned
7,726 Posts
Bring ointment for the fish fighting arm, you're going to need it.

It is a class outfitter with world class smallie fishing........... you will have a blast, the weather is supposed to be nice, but not too hot.

Enjoy!!

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
cookies and pizza?? (notice the order of them :grin: )

Hey Stew buddy, you need some help down there?? :grin: :grin:

·
Registered
537 Posts
I've stayed and fished the Big K a couple years back. Now my wife and i go to the Umpqua a half dozen times a year. The big fish that Ive caught are usally in the fall, but every day you can limit out on smaller fish and throw back 100 under sized fish. Take the fly rod and do some casting, you'll have a ball. I was at the ranch and on the river last week for a few days, the river is warm...can you say swimming, turkeys, Murtel wood tree's and peace and quite. The salmon smolt are in the river and the bass are busting the surface killing them, its like out in the salt water in a feeding frenzy. How about that drive way into the ranch.

Pat

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I stayed there a few years ago. Its a nice place and the ranch setting is very nice. The bass fishing is great too!

HC

·
Administrator
119,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Want to experience fishing as it might have been fifty years ago? You know, when you could go out fishing, and catch fish after fish after fish? :smile:

Want to know a place where you can introduce kids to fishing where there is fantastic action?

Go to the Big K! My Gosh! I caught a four pounder, too!
:smile:

Stan, of course, landed some biggies too!

and after a long day of fishing, there is nothing like the Big K to relax, and refresh and remember! :smile:

I'll tell you more about it later, but above is the short and happy story!

Jen

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Jennie, your pictures tell the story well. Maybe that is a good alternative to catching those slim trout.

You didn't mention if you used the fly rod or not on the smallies. That's just gotta be a hoot.

*Fish only bite wet hooks*

·
Administrator
119,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes, I fished with Scott. He was great!
:smile:

...and we used light spinning gear with Outlaw plastic baits. Killer!
I wrote the whole story on the front page, if you'd like to read it.
Jen

[ 06-19-2003, 11:46 AM: Message edited by: [email protected] ]

·
Registered
881 Posts
Aren't those smallies just awesome...they really have an attitude don't they. I've met the people at outlaw baits also they definately put out a great product, my favorite is the tube called the "ol ug". Glad you got to experience some good basin Jen.
<)))><

·
Administrator
119,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The guys at Outlaw are a real kick!
I had fun there. :smile:

J

1 - 20 of 20 Posts