IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have you ever landed a good size fish and thought "For a fish that size, I expected more of a fight"? Instead of drifting a quarter mile downstream you only drifted a hundred yards or so. Happened to me today. Here's my story and theory about why.

After the rod when down I made sure the hook was set, started my kicker, threw the bouy, and drifted out to play the fish. Only went about two hundred feet before I was able to land a 30# buck. The fish was turning onto it's side and ready for the net when I dipped it. I was surprised it didn't take alot longer for a fish that size. Now for my theory as to why.

My Alvin had a treble hook that was stuck in both the top and bottom jaw. The fish couldn't open it's mouth wide enough to get a good flow of water throught it's gills! It exhausted itself quickly because it couldn't get enough air to match the exertion of fighting with me! As I think back to other fish I've played I'm sure the same thing was true with some of them. It must be like running hard with out being able to breath through your mouth. If I were using a single hook and it were stuck in either the top or bottom jaw, I'm sure the fight would have been tougher and lasted longer.

Have any of you notice this before? :whazzup:

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
I've had the same thing happen on springers that I caught on Kwikfish. I guessed the same thing, but have never had a biologist or other credible "expert" corrolate the theory. Makes sense though...

·
Registered
11,223 Posts
You're right

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
your theory is correct sir!

·
Registered
14,760 Posts
Yep,

Same thing when you gut hook one backbouncing, or diver and bait. They fight better corner hooked.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
You nailed it. Try running a hundred yard dash with your hand over your nose and mouth. :grin:

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
I had the same thing happen with a summer chinook. It wasn't putting up much of fight, so thought it was a small one. Got it up to the boat and realized it's mouth was stuck shut with the treble. Had to let it go anyway 'cause it had one too many fins!!! BTW it was probably about 20lbs.

Dipnet :grin:

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
You should let them go when they have no fight. They will not make good table food, and should be sent to me so I can refresh them and let them go for another fight! :cheers:

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
I've had that happen several times kwikfishing. One time, my dad reeled right in a 38 pounder. It took it, took off, then line went slack. He reeled, and the fish basically just swam right into the net after only about 2 minutes.

Another time, I hooked a fall chinook on a bobber. It fought for about 30 seconds before going belly up. Then I saw the color "red' on the water. It was hooked down deep to the gills. My hook set bled the fish for me.

SKP

·
Registered
771 Posts
My brother caught a 48 pounder in tidewater that he said didn't fight all that much. He thought the reason was it was hooked in the tongue.
If someone hooked me in the tongue, I know, I'd come right in.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
You should have released the tongue fish. It has to be hooked in the mouth, not the tongue! :grin: :laugh: :grin: :laugh:

SKP :wink:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts