IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did anyone happen to fish big or gnat creek this last weekend,,,or maybe heard something on how the fishing was?

·
Registered
195 Posts
I came out of there with nothing from Big Creek Saturday. People were just about shoulder to shoulder. But alot of other people came out of there with two fish and my buddy ended up with a nice springer. I managed to convince the boss to give me the day off for my birthday tomorow so I am going to give Gnat Crrek a try.

notaclue

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
[ 05-13-2003, 08:36 AM: Message edited by: husker ]

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have to confess: I read the press release last Thurs. regarding early open at Big Creek, Gnat, etc... I went into fishing fantasy mode as I suspected nobody knew where either creek was or would pay any attention if they did. I thought for sure I would have any hole to myself or at worst, share with one or two other guys. I called the hatchery Friday and the fella said "they are stacked below the deadline." I was so excited I could hardly sleep Friday night. I woke at 3 and made the last turn before the Big Creek Hatchery parking lot at 4:45 a.m. and my fantasy quickly evolved into a nightmare. I couldn't buy a parking spot! Must have been at least fifty trucks and cars strewn from front to back and in between. I was demoralized but oh well what the heck, I drove that far, may as well give it a shot. Guys shoulder to shoulder and often times two deep with K-mart combo spinning rod and reels and 40lb. blue line characterized the day. There were many beautiful fish fair caught and perhaps three times as many snagged. I certainly unintentionally foul-hooked my share. I would expect better conditions during the middle of the week but get there early!

·
Registered
10,838 Posts
I think "live to fish" and I are heading up to Big Creek tomorrow to try our luck at some springer action. Maybe I'll break my slump. I'll keep ya posted on how we do.

-jokester

·
Registered
584 Posts
Lund,
Aren't they surplus fish anyhow? Would it be better to leave those fish alone and let the hatcheries kill them, throw them in totes, and send them off to the cat food factory? It doesn't take too many fish to meet their egg needs at the hatchery. It seems giving people a chance to catch them is better than letting so many fish get turned in to Friskies. Not an attack on you, it just seems those fish were produced to end up on someone's dinner table... I'm not interested in this kind of fishery either, but to each his own.

·
Registered
3,437 Posts
There are no sportsman that fish a Creek that small. Those fish are trapped in a few holes and are not going to bite after a few get snagged. What a complete joke. If anyone here is proud of fishing that river at the hachery, You are truly not a sportsman. I can't believe anyone would even acknowledge they fished there for springers
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">Thats a pretty bold statement. I'm sure there are a lot of people that feel that those who use bait are unsportsman like as well.

In my opinion, if its a legal method of harvest and does not include flossing/snagging, knock yourself out. With all the attacks on sportsmen going on I would think being divisive about legal harvest methods is counterproductive.

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
It doesn't take too many fish to meet their egg needs at the hatchery
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">Unless I am mistaken, the hatchery won't even be doing anything with these. These are net pen raised fish that are put there strictly for commercial and sport take and are just straying up into the creeks.

·
Registered
580 Posts
These fish are Net Pen fish that are surplus and the state is alowing fishing for them when the streams are usually closed. There is no natural run of these fish and they will not be used by the hatchery. Snagging is wrong and should not be allowed, however fishing with bobbers and eggs or any other method legally accepted by ODFW is not wrong. It is a perfectly valid use of a resource otherwise going to waste. If you read the post by the state they are even asking that non-finclipped springers should be caught.

·
Banned
1,511 Posts
If guys want to brush up on their flossing skills, go for it. However it is wrong! As for the bobber egg thing, I highly doubt any of those fish will bite after all those hooks get raked across their backs. If people wanted to do something with them, let the hachery take them and give them to charity.

DONT OPEN A RIVER AND ENCOURAGE SNAGGING!
LOOK AT THE SALMON RIVER IN LINCOLN CITY, WHAT A DISGRACE, IT USED TO BE AWESOME BOBBER FISHING!

·
Registered
914 Posts
I hear that a large sharp treble hook with a bright piece of yarn is the ticket there! The yarns acts sort of like a GPS unit to insure contact with your target!! Enjoy......MUHAHAHA!!!!

·
Banned
1,511 Posts
There are no sportsman that fish a Creek that small. Those fish are trapped in a few holes and are not going to bite after a few get snagged. What a complete joke. If anyone here is proud of fishing that river at the hachery, You are truly not a sportsman. I can't believe anyone would even acknowledge they fished there for springers.

Law enforcment would have a hayday if they bothered to make an attempt?

They should rename that creek (Gig Creek)!
Might as well open Dog Creek on the Clack!

·
Registered
115 Posts
I can't say that encouraging snagging is a good idea....however...why not let those fish that would otherwise be wasted go to the table? Also, why not let those "snagers" have a creek or two for themselves? It would keep them off the rest of the rivers.

Eagle Creek is a prime example during the Coho run. What is the hatchery going to do with 3000 extra fish? It's almost silly to not allow these fish to be put to good use. I personally don't agree with snagging so I choose to not participate in it. Sort of like Playboy magazine....maybe it's not for everyone but at least it's availble! :grin:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts