IFish.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I just read a peace about the Clackamas and thought to myslef why do y'all need the 120hp motor and a 21ft jet boat? Is there really a need for that on the clack? I know it's great for the CR but I think differantly about the clack, it's a nice river in a big city a good place to get away from the hussle and bussle, well as we think, but then we find ourselfs amongst some sleds flyin down river full speed with a 200hp merc on the back, so just a question, why????

John

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
I think you are refering to Scott Richmonds essay on west fly. I to am a fly fishermen I go by RBFREE on west fly. I can understand where Scott is comming from but you have to think about this also GUIDES need to make money and that 21 foot sled makes it a good expiriance for his clients. Drift boats are great But we are all different and like it our own way that way may be different than my way. Now I do not even own a boat but I am in the market to buy one for fishing sturgoen and salmon You will see me on the columbia river not the clack. lets face it Us fly fishermen already have the advantage over the gear guys just because we fly fish :laugh: They need that boat to catch a fish :tongue: Not to mention you ever notice that when they fly up river shortly after that you catch a fish :grin: The boat wakes them up. Lets face it , if you want quiet go to the upper sandy ,metolious,or the D. Cheers Rich

·
Registered
10,068 Posts
HWAF,
It's like a lot of things, once you experience it, you understand things. Other than the big water, sledders in the general area have the Sandy (up to the Stark bridge), The Clack, The Lewis and the Cowlitz(And this is when there is enough water.)

That's it, four medium rivers, part of the year.

People from the bank get a whole lot more rivers all year round.
It's the same ol' argumentative story over and over and over. I fish however and whenever, bank or boat, fly, spin, cast, and I don't hold a fishing method (except the unethical) against anyone.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, sorry if the thoughts are to me trying to start something here but I'm not, I was asking a question because I kinda was confused about this. I know about thoes rivers, and there all darn good ones too, thanks for the responces so far, havn't been to harsh, but then again I figure I've got it comin... Rich!! Sturgoen, and salmon, I supose your not fly fishing for them right, awe the power of the dark side, just took ahold of another one of us...... Oh yeah I do relize the whole guiding thing and I agree with you on that one, but for you guides, I've never been out with one, but do y'all give aptions as to what the want to use like sled or drift boat??

Well I'm heading to bed ya know church starts at 9 o'clock and at 11 o'clock.........

John

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
Sorry, But I love all fishing,, Not just one type John But I will be on the D this fall swingin a fraight train. gotta love Steel on the fly. Nothin Finer NO SIR nothin!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
13,613 Posts
I am not sure what you are saying. But if I got it right, you are wondering why folks have big sleds with big motors on the back, on semingly medium sized rivers.

If that is the case,

cause most folks can't afford or simply don't want the headache of owning multiple boats. I am looking at a bigger sled than what I have right now( 18' flatbottom). I am looking for a 20 with a 6' bottom and a 200 Merc/ Yamaha. My present boat is a fine shallow water ride. Much more comfortable than any driftboat.

Why a 20'x6' w/200?Cause it will do MOST of the things I want to do in a fishing boat. It is not a great ocean boat. It is not the finest ultra shallow boat. But it gives me enough room to fish me and some friends in comfort. It will do these things with a reasonable margin for saftey.

Why a 200hp engine on such a boat? Cause they are heavy machines that drag quite a bit in the water. That equation equals poor performance with marginal power. For the amount of money a 20'er costs with a marginal motor,I willspend a couple grand more on a 200( enough motor for the job. Certianly not too much. Some manufacturers actually offer such boats with 480 hp powerplants!!)and have a well executed fishing platform.

I suppose I have a question too.

Why do fly anglers get the 2 best runs of summer runs catered to their desires? I sure would love to pull plugs behind a driftboat on the Deschutes or Umpqua.I am confident I could average better than 10 fish per day if I could fish from a boat on those rivers. The good days may be closer to 30 than 20 fish.Yet I have to stand on the bank and step, cast, and swing. Now I am told by a mildly reliable source that the N. Umpqua regs happened before modern flyfishing really came to bewhat it is today.The regs on the D however seem to reflect what the fly angler special interest groups want.It is not my vision of how to manage this wonderful resource.

We all have a vision in our minds eye what fishing should look like. Our visions are not always the same. Maybe that is why we see the same things in such a different light.

Now nothing here is intended as a flame. The comments on management are simply my opinions. They are more than likely different than yours. I put them out there more to make a point than to start a flamefest. So please keep it civil. :smile:

Mark and the dog.

[ 07-06-2003, 10:59 AM: Message edited by: Flatfish ]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts