IFish.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI guys and gals,I recieved 5 differant phone calls kast night from some people that have heard(thru the grapevine) that their going to shut down sturgeon fishing in the Columbia for the rest of the year??,because they caught so many at the coast,I know the coast is shutting down two weeks early but haven't heard anything about the whole river.I'm going to check further in fact I'm going to call WDFW just wondering if anyone else has heard this ?? they said the notifaction would be comeing out in the paper ??.This could possibly start a lawsuit against the powers that be if they do.
Bob

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
This would not be any surprise unfortunately :mad: we saw it coming a mile away. They have to find a way to put a weekly limit on commercial charters and guides. These fish are as fun to catch as to keep, they are hardy enough to take pictures of and release. Maybe the charters and guides could charge an extra $50 for the keeper trips and the regular price for a C&R trip. How many of those fish go uneaten anyway when the guy gets home and his wife has talked to people who have told here they heard that sturgeon were contaminated and you shouldn't eat them anyway. :shrug: I have no problem with a lower keep limit for sport fishers either I support the lowering to 5/year and would even say 2-3/year is enough. Do you think the poaching that has occurred has anything to do with their decision if this rumor is found to be true?

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
This is no rumor. The official signs were put up at the launches last week (I was at Warrenton). Last day to keep in the Estuary is the 27th, Catch and release starts Sat the 28th. :hoboy:

·
Registered
13,539 Posts
This is no rumor. The official signs were put up at the launches last week (I was at Warrenton). Last day to keep in the Estuary is the 27th, Catch and release starts Sat the 28th.
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">that was known for the estuary...Bob's saying he's heard the ENTIRE river will be closed the rest of the year, because the estuary went so far over it's quota :rolleyes:

TR

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
If the Estuary had been over it's quota they would have shut it down earlier. The 27th date has been known for 2 weeks now. Why would they allow more to get caught, this sounds like BS. :mad:

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Just checked this out!
June 20, 2003

Lower Columbia River to close to sturgeon retention

Action: The Columbia River and tributaries downstream of the Wauna power lines (near Cathlamet) will close to the retention of sturgeon.

Effective Dates: June 28, 2003 through Sept. 30, 2003.

Species affected: Sturgeon

Location: The Columbia River and tributaries from the Wauna power lines (near Cathlamet, Washington) downstream to the mouth.

Reason for action: The harvest guideline of 18,000 sturgeon for this area is expected to be achieved prior to the original closing date of July 10.

Other information: The area remains open to catch-and-release fishing for sturgeon but retention of any sturgeon is prohibited. The retention of sturgeon downstream of the Wauna power lines will re-open on October 1.

Sturgeon retention in the area from the Wauna power lines upstream to Bonneville Dam will be open beginning July 1.

Information contact: Region 5 office in Vancouver, (360) 696-6211.

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
Originally posted by dawhunt:
(thru the grapevine) that their going to shut down sturgeon fishing in the Columbia for the rest of the year
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">The estuary closure is known, dawhunt is talking about from Bonneville downstream not reopening 7-1 as it was supposed to.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
I know he is talking about Wauna powerlines to Bonneville. Look at the next to last line on WDFW post. It says Wauna to Bonneville will open July 1st

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
O.K. .I called the WDFW a few minutes ago this is what they said.The lower Columbia will close the 28th of this month for retention,this in affect will close the entire river for retention for the 28th 29th and 3oth,the river will open for the upper river on July 1 as planned :dance: for keeping sturgeon,as of right now nothing has changed except for the lower river closeing 13 days early.The reason for this closure is that the estuary was swarmed by fisherman so they could keep sturgeon.Guess whats going to happen when they open the upper river to keepers.THERE ALL GOING TO COME UP HERE !!!.I think if there going to split the river like they did we should have to buy lis. for the section of the river we want to fish for sturgeon,maybe this would stop this from happening again ??.I think this is an absolute shame that our fishery has come to this.God only knows what they'll hit us with next year :shrug: .Good luck guys,I will be fishing sturgeon hard on the 1st of July.I only catch 5-6 sturgeon a year which is more then enough for my family so I'm going after them while I can.See you on the river.I hope this doesn't confuse anyone just remember the regs haven't changed for the upper river they stayed the same.
Bob

·
Registered
22,364 Posts
If these folks at ODFW and WDFW were smart they would open the ocean 7 days a week off the columbia to retention of coho and Sunday - thursday for retention of Nooks. That would ease the sturgeon pressure a bit. Heck they could even open the estuary around july 20th to fishing since the summer run is going so well.

Pesimistically, they will close the columbia below Bonniville again before the year is out. Just to many sturgeon taken.

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
CATCH AND EAT for President! :bowdown: :bowdown:

Yes, Yes, Yes! :grin: :dance:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts