IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
41 - 60 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
7,121 Posts
The employee owned thing is kind of a delusion. Many do not participate and those who do don't have a very big slice of the pie. Wouldn't imagine there's enough profit sharing (or however the employee/owner is compensated) to make it a worthwhile investment. The hourly wage doesn't support substantial investing. There are better investments than shares of the company a person works for because if the company goes under, (or sells out) you lose it all. Lots of horror stories out there.
Can be a delusion but can also be very lucrative. Use WinCo as an example. I know someone who was a checker there and a long term 30+ year employee that just cashed out $2.25M through the ESOP plan.
Most employee ownership typically provides the employee with stock and stock options for those that stick it out long term. It does take some investment by the employee including tenure. The privately held local company I run, we have developed a equity program that pays all of our employees a cut of what ever we might sell our brand for. We set aside 20% of the selling price and is divided by their salary share %. We also kick back a profit share yearly through our parent company. Our goal is to share the wealth and have long term employees.

·
Registered
3,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Been a member and loyal customer for a couple or three decades, but like others I've never used their pharmacy. Their fishing gear is always significantly less expensive than Sportsmans and it's focused on fishing in the NW, rather than whatever the Bass Pro Shops parent company has to peddle. For the 2nd Amendment types boycotting due to a business and liability decision I guess you missed out on BiMart maintaining standard retail pricing on their guns and ammo for the last few years while others have jacked the prices through the roof due to shortages and panic buying.

Maybe blame the kids that didn't handle the responsibility that comes with buying ammo at 18 instead of the company that decides it not worth the hassle/liability for a couple of boxes of cheap 12 gauge and 5.56 ammo. I don't know if it was the reason for the business change, but they stopped selling ammo to kids shortly after three 18 year old jackasses were busted in Central Oregon for thrill killing 20+ mule deer and elk. They were shooting cows/calves, does/fawns, and mature bucks. Pretty much the only store in town (they were from Madras, Culver, and Sisters) that sold the ammo the kids used was BiMart. All they took were ears...

Liability?

Are you saying Bi Mart is liable for what those adults did?

·
Premium Member
19,245 Posts
Liability?

Are you saying Bi Mart is liable for what those adults did?
Go back some years ago and you will find a case where someone broke into GI Joes, stole secured guns and ammo and went on to kill someone with the gun. GI Joes was found guilty of letting the perp break into the store and steal the weapon. Attorneys go after the deep pockets and sympathetic juries allow it. Was GI Joes liable? No, but that didn't matter. I'll see if the new article is still available.

·
Registered
6,429 Posts
I just got back from my local BiMart (my pharmacy) and ours is transferring Rx ops to Walgreens, but it will remain in our store.
Hopefully Walgreens employs at least some of the existing personnel, 'cuz most there are good folks.

·
Premium Member
19,245 Posts
I just got back from my local BiMart (my pharmacy) and ours is transferring Rx ops to Walgreens, but it will remain in our store.
Hopefully Walgreens employs at least some of the existing personnel, 'cuz most there are good folks.
So they are doing the 'store in a store' like Best Buy?

·
Registered
3,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·

·
Premium Member
19,245 Posts
Apples and oranges.

One case involved improper storage, the other event would be the legal purchase of ammunition.
The point is the store had deeper pockets than the guy that broke in and stole the gun used in a murder. As far as someone under 21 being able to buy ammo, they also can't legally buy a beer in Oregon. If store policy determines 21 is the age for 'adult' purchases, or their attorneys warn about liability, it's well within their right to set the policy. Customers can react as they will.

·
Registered
49 Posts
So an 18 year is responsible enough for the federal government to provide ammo and targets to shoot at...but not responsible enough to buy their own ammo without the seller being liable 🤔

·
Registered
7,121 Posts
I'll try to get this thread back on track. Can a young adult 18 and under buy a condom from a Bi Mart pharmacy ?

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
I'm going to miss the Bi Mart Pharmacy at our store here in Star. Really the only game in town until we get our new Albertsons later this fall. We use Costco on our primary prescriptions, but Bi Mart was handy for those occasional prescriptions. And it doesn't cost me the extra $200 bucks that a trip to Costco does.

Reactions: judyfish99

·
Registered
17,264 Posts
In honor of the haters I went to the local Bi Mart, picked up some shot shells and other stuff. Saw a guy purchasing IMR powder. Wow, both shells and reloading powder in stock. Like no where else.
Thank you (employee owned) Bi Mart!

Reactions: Don G Baldi

·
Registered
3,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
In honor of the haters I went to the local Bi Mart, picked up some shot shells and other stuff. Saw a guy purchasing IMR powder. Wow, both shells and reloading powder in stock. Like no where else.
Thank you (employee owned) Bi Mart!
Not a hater, just making a choice based on my values.

Did you see any 19 year olds buying ammo?

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
My neighbor is a pharmacist for Bi-Mart and the closing was only anounced to the employees two days before the press release. My neighbor had told me a few months ago that Bi-Mart was closing some of its pharmacies due to a lack of profit.....some drugs were being sold at less than cost to compete with WalMart and Wallgreens. The neighbor is now looking for a new job but says the assistants and clerks are being hurt the most by the closing.....with only two weeks severance pay. It appears that while the company is employee owned it is run by the upper echelon with little input from the employees.
Bingo, we have a winner. My brother in law worked in the BMart Pharm for many years and now works at another store Pharm. Basically said the same thing and it is now run by a small executive team. Sounds like there is some shady dealings with the profit sharing as well.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Been a member and loyal customer for a couple or three decades, but like others I've never used their pharmacy. Their fishing gear is always significantly less expensive than Sportsmans and it's focused on fishing in the NW, rather than whatever the Bass Pro Shops parent company has to peddle. For the 2nd Amendment types boycotting due to a business and liability decision I guess you missed out on BiMart maintaining standard retail pricing on their guns and ammo for the last few years while others have jacked the prices through the roof due to shortages and panic buying.

Maybe blame the kids that didn't handle the responsibility that comes with buying ammo at 18 instead of the company that decides it not worth the hassle/liability for a couple of boxes of cheap 12 gauge and 5.56 ammo. I don't know if it was the reason for the business change, but they stopped selling ammo to kids shortly after three 18 year old jackasses were busted in Central Oregon for thrill killing 20+ mule deer and elk. They were shooting cows/calves, does/fawns, and mature bucks. Pretty much the only store in town (they were from Madras, Culver, and Sisters) that sold the ammo the kids used was BiMart. All they took were ears...
Interesting take. I'm sure Bimart has liability insurance for selling firearms and ammo, and they probably get a brake on rates by having the over 21 policy. Those criticizing just look at all the local Dick's Sporting goods that no longer sell firearms or ammo in the metro area. They always had monster Black Friday deals on one gun or another. No more, the closest one still selling firearms is Medford. I still shop at Bimart, they are my go to for fishing and hunting stuff first. As far as getting rid of the pharmacy, many have covered the possible reasons, but it is very expensive to have a licensed pharmacist at every store on the payroll.

·
Registered
7,503 Posts
Not a hater, just making a choice based on my values.

Did you see any 19 year olds buying ammo?
quite an assumption thinking you were the one being honored 😂

41 - 60 of 80 Posts