IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
21 - 40 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
4,023 Posts
They quit selling rifles/shotguns to 18-21 year olds I think was gist of it.
20 year old serving his country in the military, no Remington 870 for you! Too unsafe
EDIT:
Looked it up. Apparently ammo too. Going with the prior scenario: Let's say said service member already has an 870 that he got for his 18th bday and wants to go duck hunting with his buddies while on leave. No steel shells for you! Too unsafe.
Isn't pandering fun...?
Source: https://www.statesmanjournal.com/st...-kroger-fred-meyer-walmart-bi-mart/387113002/

My oldest son (20) went in to buy some duck loads in Albany they wouldn't sell them to him because he wasn't 21. He was ****ed. He won't shop there ever again.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
I try NOT to support stores that age discriminate our 2nd amendment of the United States to law abiding 18-20 year olds. That is anti-hunting and anti-self-defense. Go woke go broke for all I care.

Rather give my money to Sportsman's Warehouse or Coastal Farm and Ranch. I'll gladly pay more. If I'm in Bi-mart it's because I'm desperate for 12ga loads.
Cabell.

Just a reminder Sportsman's is now owned by Bass Pro Shops/Cabelas.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Only on ifish can you start a post about pharmacies closing and have it transition to ammo sales.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Thats funny as he!! ,but it's true. Bi-mart has seemed to fall into the category of the "Woke", in a sense. It sucks, cause I love Bimart

·
Registered
4,023 Posts
Only on ifish can you start a post about pharmacies closing and have it transition to ammo sales.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Its actually tied to the same issue. There are a lot of folks that have strong feelings about the 2nd ammendment in both directions. The problem for Bimart is the people willing to stop shopping there outnumbers significantly the number of people will to spend money with them to support their policy. This results in those dollars being spent elsewhere. Once people leave they very rarely come back.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Thats funny as he!! ,but it's true. Bi-mart has seemed to fall into the category of the "Woke", in a sense. It sucks, cause I love Bimart
I really like Bi-Mart too but I am growing tired of being chased down like a rabid dog for not wearing a mask. It’s quite amusing though to watch them run through the store with a mask in a pair of tongs yelling “sir please put on this mask!” 😂

·
Registered
3,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I’m one of the Bi Mart departures. Can’t abide virtue signaling, especially on 2nd Amendment issues.

·
Registered
17,264 Posts
So where are all you anti-Bi Mart folks going to?
Fred Meyer? Nope. No more bang stuff.
Target? ha ha.
Fishermans? empty shelves.
Out of state catalogers? Fine, until you need something the next day.

Bi Mart is one of the last local places actually STOCKING guns & ammo AND who have product on the shelves.

·
Registered
7,503 Posts
Reactions: STGRule

·
Registered
192 Posts
I do not have a BiMart near me but I have purchased a few things, mostly fishing gear, at a Vancouver and Beaverton location. The big box stores and Amazon are making it harder for the small and independent retailers. Best way to make sure they survive is make an effort to shop there more often.

Closing pharmacies may not be an indication of overall financial health. The high number of Medicare and Medicaid patients require a pharmacy to wait for federal reimbursement. I know of a family friend that operated two pharmacies in a semi rural area. The average float for payments was 3 1/2 months and at times reached nearly 5 months. He averaged receivables of over $900k. The carrying costs and accounting took two full time employees. He finally closed the pharmacies and went to work for someone else, and now has time to fish. If BiMart has similar issues multiplied by all their locations, I can’t blame them.

·
Registered
3,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
So where are all you anti-Bi Mart folks going to?
Fred Meyer? Nope. No more bang stuff.
Target? ha ha.
Fishermans? empty shelves.
Out of state catalogers? Fine, until you need something the next day.

Bi Mart is one of the last local places actually STOCKING guns & ammo AND who have product on the shelves.
I chose to draw the line and I accept the corresponding inconvenience. Who cares if they stock guns and ammo when their corporate policy prevented my son from actually purchasing any?

Some things are worth the hassle.

·
Registered
7,121 Posts
Its actually tied to the same issue. There are a lot of folks that have strong feelings about the 2nd amendment in both directions. The problem for Bimart is the people willing to stop shopping there outnumbers significantly the number of people will to spend money with them to support their policy. This results in those dollars being spent elsewhere. Once people leave they very rarely come back.
Im pro second amendment but the pharmacies aren't closing because of their ammo and firearms stance. I don't think they are tied to the same issue and I would be willing to bet that only a fraction of a percentage or two shopped both categories with in BiMart specific. In fact if you surveyed their customers I would bet 95% don't even know about their ammo or firearms policy. Probably more aware if your living in a rural area vs an urban one though.
BiMart is a top 150 privately held companies in Oregon and employee owned and is approaching 70 years in business. No shareholder or stock price to manage. I have called on BiMart as one of my vendor retailers over the years and have found them to be one of the more frugal companies I have dealt with. They don't borrow and carry a indiscriminate amount of debt. I'll speculate that the pharmacy retail business has probably delivered low profit low margin returns in recent times. Between staffing and inventory it was probably determined that the profit per square foot in the stores wasn't there ( more money in canned Spam). BiMart sold the script business and customers to Walgreens raising cash flow that will be reinvested into store expansions and remodels for their other departments. Again no debt.
Think about the pharmacy business today and where you get your drugs. Rite Aid, Walgreens, CVS, private drug stores not to mention every grocery store has a pharmacy. Albertson ended up with and sold out to CVS drugs inside stores because it wasn't profitable. In my own case I just got my prescriptions refilled through Express Scripts which is required by my insurance carrier and were mailed to me. Skipped the retail brick and mortar all together.
I think this is just a case of the retail end of prescription sales changing and becoming less profitable and not about customers leaving the store due to their stance on ammo? All that said I missed Lucky Number Tuesday yesterday :)

·
Registered
4,717 Posts
Had a very positive experience refilling a prescription with Walgreens automated phone system the other day. When system asked me for my prescription number, I replied 'I don't know my effing prescription number'. System politely replied 'not a problem, we can help you another way'. In the future, I will call their system hands-free while driving in traffic, so I can be more efficient offloading frustration.

·
Qualified Sturgeon Hugger
38,412 Posts
Im pro second amendment but the pharmacies aren't closing because of their ammo and firearms stance. I don't think they are tied to the same issue and I would be willing to bet that only a fraction of a percentage or two shopped both categories with in BiMart specific. In fact if you surveyed their customers I would bet 95% don't even know about their ammo or firearms policy. Probably more aware if your living in a rural area vs an urban one though.
BiMart is a top 150 privately held companies in Oregon and employee owned and is approaching 70 years in business. No shareholder or stock price to manage. I have called on BiMart as one of my vendor retailers over the years and have found them to be one of the more frugal companies I have dealt with. They don't borrow and carry a indiscriminate amount of debt. I'll speculate that the pharmacy retail business has probably delivered low profit low margin returns in recent times. Between staffing and inventory it was probably determined that the profit per square foot in the stores wasn't there ( more money in canned Spam). BiMart sold the script business and customers to Walgreens raising cash flow that will be reinvested into store expansions and remodels for their other departments. Again no debt.
Think about the pharmacy business today and where you get your drugs. Rite Aid, Walgreens, CVS, private drug stores not to mention every grocery store has a pharmacy. Albertson ended up with and sold out to CVS drugs inside stores because it wasn't profitable. In my own case I just got my prescriptions refilled through Express Scripts which is required by my insurance carrier and were mailed to me. Skipped the retail brick and mortar all together.
I think this is just a case of the retail end of prescription sales changing and becoming less profitable and not about customers leaving the store due to their stance on ammo? All that said I missed Lucky Number Tuesday yesterday :)

I was going to say the same thing. A whole lot of people have never bought a gun or ammo at BiMart. That isn't what I go there for. I go for canning, garden, baking, household and camping supplies.

Reactions: judyfish99

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
My neighbor is a pharmacist for Bi-Mart and the closing was only anounced to the employees two days before the press release. My neighbor had told me a few months ago that Bi-Mart was closing some of its pharmacies due to a lack of profit.....some drugs were being sold at less than cost to compete with WalMart and Wallgreens. The neighbor is now looking for a new job but says the assistants and clerks are being hurt the most by the closing.....with only two weeks severance pay. It appears that while the company is employee owned it is run by the upper echelon with little input from the employees.

·
Registered
39,682 Posts
The employee owned thing is kind of a delusion. Many do not participate and those who do don't have a very big slice of the pie. Wouldn't imagine there's enough profit sharing (or however the employee/owner is compensated) to make it a worthwhile investment. The hourly wage doesn't support substantial investing. There are better investments than shares of the company a person works for because if the company goes under, (or sells out) you lose it all. Lots of horror stories out there.

I worked in Fred Meyer's drug warehouse for many years, pretty much in charge of filling orders for their store pharmacies. There came a time when keeping the pharmacies stocked fell upon the vendors and it put an end to FM employees doing the work. A good example is the beer section at your local grocery store. Those people stocking the shelves are not store employees, they work for the vendor/distributor. Other sections of the stores are maintained the very same way.

·
Registered
5,369 Posts
Been a member and loyal customer for a couple or three decades, but like others I've never used their pharmacy. Their fishing gear is always significantly less expensive than Sportsmans and it's focused on fishing in the NW, rather than whatever the Bass Pro Shops parent company has to peddle. For the 2nd Amendment types boycotting due to a business and liability decision I guess you missed out on BiMart maintaining standard retail pricing on their guns and ammo for the last few years while others have jacked the prices through the roof due to shortages and panic buying.

Maybe blame the kids that didn't handle the responsibility that comes with buying ammo at 18 instead of the company that decides it not worth the hassle/liability for a couple of boxes of cheap 12 gauge and 5.56 ammo. I don't know if it was the reason for the business change, but they stopped selling ammo to kids shortly after three 18 year old jackasses were busted in Central Oregon for thrill killing 20+ mule deer and elk. They were shooting cows/calves, does/fawns, and mature bucks. Pretty much the only store in town (they were from Madras, Culver, and Sisters) that sold the ammo the kids used was BiMart. All they took were ears...

21 - 40 of 80 Posts